Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Wise Words from my Brother

This morning my brother sent me a note about a teacher in a church with little spiritual discernment. Blind leading the blind.

In his note he said this: This is the spirit that if the Holy Spirit showed up and he wasn't from the (fill in the blank) church he would be ushered out.

I say fill in the blank because that's the way it is in most evangelical churches today. If the Holy Spirit showed up, he'd be asked to leave. In fact he is.

Once Barry Kolb told me a story of a Pastors conference at Willow Creek where Bill Hybels asked the question, "What would you do if the Holy Spirit showed up at your Church next Sunday?"

Someone from the back of the room said, "I'd ask Him to sit in the back and keep quiet".

The fact is that's what happens. If the Holy Spirit wasn't Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, Lutheran or Evangelical Frozen Covenant enough He'd be asked to leave. Happens every Sunday.

I asked in a former post, If Jesus once again walked among men as a Man what denomination would he be, or more to the point, in the western American church model, would he even be considered a Christian?

I wonder.

No comments: