YOU KNOW YOU LIVE IN SMALL TOWN, WHEN...
Olivia Minnesota population 2,867
1. Third street is on the edge of town.
2. You dial a wrong number and talk for 15 minutes anyway.
3. You are run off Main Street by a combine.
4. The one-block-long Main Street dead ends in both directions.
5. There's no place to go that you shouldn't.
6. You leave your jacket on the back of the chair in the cafe, and when you go back the next day it's still there, on the same chair.
7. You write a check on the wrong bank and it covers it for you.
8. There are 3 choices of music on the radio; new country, old country and all country.
9. The pickups on Main Street out number the cars three to one.
10. The Ice Cream store has only two flavors, chocolate and vanilla.
11. No social events are scheduled when the school gym floor is being varnished.
12. Hardware, dry goods, groceries, clothing and farm supplies are all sold at the same store.
13. You miss a Sunday at church and receive get-well cards.
14. The only traffic jam's are caused when a farmer drives down Main Street on their tractor.
15. You don't use your turn signal because everyone knows where you're going.
16. You were born on June 13 and your family received gifts from the local merchants because you are the first baby of the year.
17. You can't walk for exercise because every car that passes offers you a ride.
18. You drive into the ditch five miles out of town and the word gets back into town before you do.
19. When a letter is addressed with your first name and the name of the town and nothing else, and it is delivered.
20. You move in and you are no longer a stranger after ten minutes, but you're still a newcomer after twenty years.
21. Your banker will stop and pick up your bank deposit at your home.
22. When your child oversleeps, and the principal of the school goes to your house and wakes them up.
23. The nearest Wal-Mart is 50 miles away.
24. If you tend to lose your car keys, you can leave them in your car.
25. No one cares what you drive, or what you do for a living, as long as it's honest.
26. The internet is finally here!
27. Those sirens that remind you when it's 8am, noon, or 7 pm on the first Monday of the month; or your football team just won state championship, etc., etc., etc...
28. Anonymous bags of sweet corn, tomatoes, potatoes and zucchini are left at your door.
29. You can pay your home off in your lifetime.
30. You can afford car insurance for your teenagers.
31. You can see the stars. All the stars. Even the little ones.
32. People are important. All the people. Even the little ones.
Monday, September 07, 2009
Small Town.... Olivia MN....Makes me a little homesick
Jason Bloomer is a big town guy from a small town, a techie working in Olivia MN. His observations about small town Minnesota are funny and poignant for someone who grew up in a town just like that... as I did.
Posted by Gene at 8:21 AM