Saturday, August 26, 2017

This is NOT a race question. It is cultural.

Today there were perhaps a couple hundred thousand people gathered to see the eclipse in Nebraska. We were part of that crowd. we were about 40 miles from Lincoln and 80 miles from Omaha. Both of those towns have significant African American populations. yet among all of the people that I saw today I could count on both hands and both feet the people of color that I saw observing this celestial phenomenon. I hope someone who understands the culture better than I do can explain to me why the passivity about something like this exists. I will admit that many of the people that were there looking at this Eclipse were relatively geeky people. telescopes charts glasses seminars education were all part of the day.. could the culture just in general be uninterested in science? Color me puzzled

No comments: