Father forgive me, for I have sinned.
I moved from North Dakota in the middle 80's. Other less sinful folks stayed and payed penance. I desire to make amends. Alas, I never will be able to. I have committed the unforgivable sin.
I am unacceptable as an opinion giver because I didn't stay in North Dakota after having lived in ND for 40 plus years, started 5 businesses which operate today in ND and having farmed extensively. I'm unqualified. I am unclean, unaccepted.
There are categories of people who will never be accepted as real North Dakotans and will be shunned forever as "Outsiders".
The rule of absolute parochialism must be applied.
Those who have no say in North Dakota (ACCORDING TO ND PEOPLE) are:
- 1. Those who leave and come back. We told you so.
- 2. Those who move into town from the country. Thought you'd never lean you can't make it on the farm.
- 3. Those who move to the country from the city. What makes you think you have what it takes to make it here.
- 4. Those who left and now want to help. We stuck around when vermin like you left. You have no right to an opinion and we will treat anything you say in the most pejorative manner possible.
- 5. Those who didn't grow up here (within 10 miles of wherever in North Dakota that is) and move to another area. We don't need your big money and ideas here.
- 6. Those who decide to move to North Dakota who never lived in North Dakota. Particularly if you are from another country. Don't think your are going to change things around here. We know better.
- What if the opposite were true?:::
- What if having stayed in fact makes people LESS qualified to have an opinion?
- What if the only policy makers allowed were those who left the state and returned or were not from here in the first place and had moved here? What if only they could vote and make policy decisions.
- What if returnees (you have to have lived outside the states of ND, SD, MN, MT for at least 5 years) were the only ones eligible to vote or serve in the legislature or hold public office?
Would things be better or worse in North Dakota?
Contemplate and decide, however if you're from out of state your opinion doesn't count.