Saturday, December 10, 2011
About the year just passed. Peggy my wife of 45 glorious years and I celebrated our 45th anniversary. OK maybe one or two were tiny bit short of fully glorious, but well over the majority have been wonderful. I don’t’ recall how we celebrated; that comes with that many years too.
I officially became a ward of the state by signing up for social security. It is welcome every month. BLIP, there it is. It just shows up in my checking account. Who knew?
Speaking of money, 2011 started out rough. I had a major customer go really bad on me. Life changing bad. I was as broke as broke could be in Jan and Feb. I am going to write a book about the revelation that came out of all that. That’s for another time.
In late Dec into early Jan I decided to lower the Medicare cash reserves by having a pesky cataract removed. That sorta worked. More on that later. Let’s just say that if you are on Medicare and you get 47 bills for one procedure, only pay the ones that threaten your kneecaps. The rest are just fishing for cash.
We spent time in the old Buick up and down the road. Went to Lincoln NE for a few days to See Kevin on his 40th Birthday. Kevin is our youngest. Tim is our oldest, 44. I can’t quite figure out how that all works since I was just 44 just a few weeks ago…or so it seems.
Peggy took on a short term big project. She ran a cookie route for Pepperidge Farms Distributor. She did really well. The route kinda reached an end. But it showed her she is capable of anything she sets her mind to do and it is a marketable skill she can use any time she needs to. I’m proud of her. She’s an amazing woman.
I asked Peggy before I started writing this what she wanted me to report, she said, “We’re still kicking”. I guess that sums it up. She is a woman of few words. I’m far more verbose. Read on for proof.
We have had family struggles that come with age. Ben, Peggy’s dad has had a tough year. In December of Last year he had what appears to have been a stroke. He hasn’t been able to come home. He is in the nursing home. He has drifted. I don’t know what the short term outcome will be. I do know the ultimate outcome. My Dad (Uncle Earl) still resides in the Nursing home. Tough situation. I think about these good men and the years after pearl harbor. 70 years ago. I reflected on how old they both were on that day, Earl was 26, Ben 24. Yet off to war they went. They ARE the Greatest Generation.
A tear appeared in my universe. I was out working at the nursery one hot day in June, swinging a pick axe, all sweaty when suddenly on a Friday afternoon one eye went dark. Sightless. I didn’t panic. I don’t panic easily. That night I went to a prayer meeting. I asked folks to pray for me. My eye was still dark. The next morning I called the eye clinic where I had my cataract surgery. The week before they had done a cut away of a layer behind my lens by laser to help clear up my vision. The nurse didn’t seem to think it was too serious. Monday I went into to see the doc. He panicked. My retina had torn. I was immediately admitted to the Wheaton eye clinic. With cryogenic freezing and lasers they patched up my torn retina. It wasn’t painless. My eye was so swollen I would have been a great Zombie movie extra. I asked the older than me Doctor if the cause of this event was my working hard or blood pressure or the result of cataract surgery. NOPE, the doc said, “You are getting old”. No cure for that I guess. He asked, “How do you feel about this?”. Sad; I said . He replied, “Don’t be sad about this. There will be other things to be sad about later“. Wisdom. I shall heed it.
I have been very busy. Mostly doing evaluations. I travel all over America appraising nurseries and their operations. It has been very productive. AND the nursery business has been good.
So in spite of the difficulty of a seriously deadbeat customer, we have had a good year. Speaking of which, I was able to get a settlement in court from a man that has owed me substantial money for several years. Seems like the enemy is paying back all he stole from me.
We haven’t traveled a great deal on pleasure travel. I travel a lot for business. Peggy and I went to Asheville NC. I had an appraisal to do. While there we went to see the Biltmore Mansion. I was very impressed and wondered why we don’t have a house and garden like that. I call these kind of places bad for my spirit. NAH. Yet it was a thrill. The Vanderbilt Mansion speaks to the power of free enterprise.
I have been ministering here and there during which I have discovered something; the LOVE OFFERING. I am amazed. Nearly everywhere I spoke an offering was given. It was appreciated. I had never been given an offering before. I am grateful and humbled by it. In a couple cases I tried to give it back. They wouldn’t take it. I have learned from all this.
We have had a house guest for a few months. A lady we have known for a while. She is moving but had to have a job in her new city. Until that was sealed up, she couldn’t move. She now has a job and will be gone by January. It has been an interesting time having two women in the house.
We visited Peggy’s brother Clair. He lives near Akron OH. He built a log cabin, log by log - by hand. It’s huge. It was a kit, but much assembly was required. Handy folks those Schefferts.
Thanksgiving was at the Scheffert house in Oakes ND. Ben was able to come. It was difficult. Painful. Yet good. Almost everyone made it back for what may be the last.
The Buick threw a rod while were back in ND for Thanksgiving. I mean what’s up with a car giving up at 250,000 miles? It’s just broke in. I had a used engine installed; 67,000 miles on it. I was counseled to dump it, but it’s a good car and it’s PAID FOR. BUT, I’m looking. Shhhh…don’t tell the Buick.
All in all 2011 has been an interesting year. I’m not worried about buying Peggy a birthday Present next December on the 22 since according to the Mayan Calendar the world will end on the December 21, 2012. Wait, didn’t it end twice this year? Maybe I will have to shop after all.
IF you are getting this it means we Love you, we miss you, we wish that all the people from our lives were as near as this page is to you right now. May God bless you with all the Joy you can stand. In everything and even FOR everything, give thanks. We do. There is no Glory to be shared outside of the Glory of God in our lives. HE gets ALL of the Glory.
Peggy doesn’t Facebook, but I’m big on Social Media. You can find me if you are too. I blog. Two of them. Google can find them.
Peggy’s Email is Pjredlin@gmail.com
Mine is email@example.com
The biggest hope I have for us all in 2012 happens Tuesday November 6, 2012. For my Democrat friends and relatives I want to remind you to vote on Wednesday November 7, 2012.
Blessings on this Season of Joy and a Merry Christmas,
Gene and Peggy Redlin
St Charles, Illinois
Friday, December 09, 2011
The expected arrival time at your destination will usually run longer not shorter, no matter how hard you push, even if you exceed the posted limit. It's the slow downs, detours and diversions that rob you of getting where you want to be when you expected to.
The best route to get you where you want to go is not always the most obvious, the most well traveled or the best marked, but it probably is the fastest if you trust the informer.
The obstacles you run into, like traffic jams only delay, don't defer. If you don't give up you will arrive at your destination.
Looking at the distance yet to travel is more disheartening than the projected time of arrival.
Not giving up will get you where you want to go.
Sometimes stopping and deciding once more where your destination is will reset the route.
To deal with your impatience, set an intermediate point on your unit, then when you get there you can reset to your ultimate destination if you don't get trapped into staying.
I don't know if this is true or not. BUT, then I thought, what if it is, and they DON'T come lock me up for being a radical christian, a conservative, a pro lifer, one who is well prepared for difficult times, armed, Bible believing....for that is the profile of a "terrorist" today. IF they don't come get me...what does THAT mean? If I am on trial for being a christian, I hope there is evidence to convict me. How about you?
Momma, don't let your babies grow up to be mobsters. What is wrong in our culture?
OK, a secret. IF you want to make good money, if you are a good author, if you have technical savvy, the new thing is Kindle Publishing. This is NOT self publishing as you used to know it, people are doing very well with this. There is only one caution. It's a meritocracy. If you are a lousy writer, you will not make any money in this. I have known of this for several months, today the Wall Street Journal blew the cover off this. SO, now you know.
This is insidious. Already in the state of Michigan, parents who take care of their invalid children and get subsidies from the state are paying 30-60 dollars per month to be part of a union they didn't want to join. This is pure communism. IF you live in CT...you owe it to your children to stand up against such.
The Atheists win again. The battle, not the war. If you think our religious freedoms are sacred and untouchable, you are living in a dream world.
I think the stupid windmills on the prairie are a waste of money, time and a diversion we don't need. Look at this. A wind comes up and the windmills explode. This was in England this week. They are modern machines. Should be state of the art. At least 3 of them exploded. Why does anyone think this was a good idea. OH and my Buddy GWB backed them too. Government NEVER gets it right
This is why Illinois and California are broke and Nebraska isn't. Look at the chart. People living on the public dole and calling it pension
Let me get this straight. We can't have Nativity Scenes, but Islamic prayers are somehow protected. I guess if I wanted to have a BIBLE STUDY in the workplace no one should object...right? Right?
I was just thinking today about all the wonderful scripture songs we used to sing back in the late 70's and early 80's. I internalized a lot of gospel by singing them. I just today was sing, "Some trust in chariots, some in Horses, but I will trust in the name of the Lord my GOD." I know I'm an old throwback to the Charismatic days, but I wonder if we didn't lose something by sloughing off those scripture songs.
Who is like unto thee..... My Glory and the lifting of my head...... Ah Lord God thou hast made the heavens...... I have hundreds hidden in my spirit. They sustain me. I wonder if we shouldn't revisit them?
This HAS to be one of the dumbest statements ever made by any president. OK, WMD's in Iraq might be close (GWB). BUT this is just inane. I know it's good politics, he has greenies to appease, but this is just silly. Mr President, you are talking to such a low common denominator that it borders on MEGA PANDERING. The idea that unemployment bennies grows the economy is not just bad economics, it's warped thinking. I don't want to suspect our President of warped thinking but he can do better than this.
I heard this call live. This Jamaican woman comes here, penniless, carves out a life, and education and a business at which she is prospering. She hates what this country is becoming. She talks with a thick Jamaican accent. She talks of the challenge of being Black in America. YET..she is making it. I think she has a tale to share if we will hear it. More and more I hear people from other countries saying that America is becoming a police state, is no longer free, is drifting quickly into socialism or even Marxism. Will we hear them?
You have right at 2 weeks to buy any 3 way bulb and hundred watt bulbs you need for the rest of your life. After that the government will outlaw them. What country is this anyway comrade???
Here's a whole blog devoted to the idiocy that is the light bulb ban. DON'T read it..It will anger you.
Thursday, December 08, 2011
2. Go to bed on time.
3. Get up on time so you can start the day unrushed.
4. Say No to projects that won't fit into your time schedule, or that will compromise your mental health.
5. Delegate tasks to capable others.
6. Simplify and unclutter your life.
7. Less is more. (Although one is often not enough, two are often too many.)
8. Allow extra time to do things and to get to places.
9. Pace yourself. Spread out big changes and difficult projects over time; don't lump the hard things all together.
10. Take one day at a time.
11. Separate worries from concerns. If a situation is a concern, find out what God would have you do and let go of the anxiety. If you can't do anything about a situation, forget it.
12. Live within your budget; don't use credit cards for ordinary purchases.
13.. Have backups; an extra car key in your wallet, an extra house key buried in the garden, extra stamps, etc.
14. K.M.S. (Keep Mouth Shut). This single piece of advice can prevent an enormous amount of trouble.
15. Do something for the Kid in You everyday.
16. Carry a spiritually enlightening book with you to read while waiting in line.
17. Get enough rest.
18. Eat right.
19. Get organized so everything has its place.
20.. Listen to a tape while driving that can help improve your quality of life..
21. Write down thoughts and inspirations.
22. Every day, find time to be alone.
23. Having problems? Talk to God on the spot. Try to nip small problems in the bud. Don't wait until it's time to go to bed to try and pray.
24. Make friends with Godly people.
25. Keep a folder of favorite scriptures on hand.
26. Remember that the shortest bridge between despair and hope is often a good 'Thank you Jesus .'
28. Laugh some more!
29. Take your work seriously, but not yourself at all.
30. Develop a forgiving attitude (most people are doing the best they can).
31.. Be kind to unkind people (they probably need it the most).
32. Sit on your ego.
33. Talk less; listen more.
34. Slow down.
35. Remind yourself that you are not the general manager of the universe.
36. Every night before bed, think of one thing you're grateful for that you've never been grateful for before. GOD HAS A WAY OF TURNING THINGS AROUND FOR YOU.
'If God is for us, who can be against us?'
Wednesday, December 07, 2011
THEN, individuals had to surrender their phone, but attorneys and professionals got to keep theirs, yesterday, nobody got to keep their phone at all.
It's like the TSA. Once you cede a little power to an authority, they will take it all the way to the limit. Be very careful what you give up.
REMEMBER, the seat belt laws were originally only if you were stopped for something else. NOW, they can stop you and ticket you if they see you without a seat belt on. It's not about the intent. It's about the slippery slope.
2. AVOID ARGUMENTS WITH THE FEMALES ABOUT LIFTING THE TOILET SEAT BY USING THE SINK.
3. FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SUFFERERS ~ SIMPLY CUT YOURSELF AND BLEED FOR A FEW MINUTES, THUS REDUCING THE PRESSURE ON YOUR VEINS. REMEMBER TO USE A TIMER.
4. A MOUSE TRAP PLACED ON TOP OF YOUR ALARM CLOCK WILL PREVENT YOU FROM ROLLING OVER AND GOING BACK TO SLEEP AFTER YOU HIT THE SNOOZE BUTTON.
5. IF YOU HAVE A BAD COUGH, TAKE A LARGE DOSE OF LAXATIVES. THEN YOU'LL BE AFRAID TO COUGH.
6. YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.
7. IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
Tuesday, December 06, 2011
1. Your education, whatever it is will not get you a job. It can keep a door from slamming in your face. Dependence on education to insure a good future is idolatry.
2. What you have skills and abilities in is the thing people hire. Your diploma only says you can learn and can do your homework.
3. A degree doesn't mean you can do anything, it only means you have some capacity to pass tests.
4. We are about to go thru a great change in the workforce. Many many many more will be unemployed soon. That will mean only those with something they know how to do better than someone else that someone will pay you for matters.
5. The idea of a "JOB" is becoming obsolete. Every person, no matter who they are, no matter what they do has become an independent contractor, an entrepreneur. Using "Job" security as a crutch is like a burger joint thinking they have customer security.
6. Pensions and government support are about to evaporate. People who trusted in them will find themselves hungry, cold and homeless. The money is running out.
7. Find an escape clause. You must quickly assess your abilities and talents and begin to find someone to "Buy" them. That may be a menial job that becomes publicity for a step up, but you will always be on display from this day forward.
You have now been warned.
Sunday, December 04, 2011
There are still changes swirling around the Senate, but this looks like the basic shape of the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act. Someone the government says is “a member of, or part of, al-Qaida or an associated force” can be held in military custody “without trial until the end of the hostilities authorized by the Authorization for Use of Military Force.” Those hostilities are currently scheduled to end the Wednesday after never. The move would shut down criminal trials for terror suspects.
Read the whole thing:
Senate Wants the Military to Lock You Up Without Trial | Danger Room | Wired.com