By Mervin Farmer
I should have written this letter two years ago, but I didn’t. I’m doing it now.
It seems that Cindy Sheehan, whose son died in Iraq, and others opposed to the war are unable to decide for themselves why we have invaded Iraq.
Here are some reasons for them to consider:
- Sept. 11, 2001. After Pearl Harbor, we attacked Japan. So whom do we go after this time-no one?
- Worldwide terrorism. The 2004 National Geographic has documented 28 terrorist groups, with Al Qaeda, the deadliest, operating in 68 countries worldwide.
- Prevention of future terrorist bases in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- *A way to demonstrate to the rest of the world that we mean business and need its help.
- A way to point out to countries that harbor and abet terrorists that they are no friends of ours and will be treated accordingly.
- The removal of a power-hungry, madman dictator who could, and would, be a potential danger to world peace.
- The setting-up, it is hoped, of a democracy in Iraq, to demonstrate to the people of the Middle East that freedom is possible for everyone.
- The prevention of Iraq from invading Saudi Arabia and controlling the Saudi oil fields.
- A way to enable the Iraqi oil money to go to the people of Iraq, instead of to Saddam Hussein and his nefarious projects.
- Israel. Need I say why?
- The removal of military bases from Saudi Arabia to Iraq. These bases in Saudi Arabia were a major sore spot to the Muslim terrorists.
- Any other reasons are secret and classified. The American people cannot be privy to confidential information that would compromise our ability to protect our country and our lives. Telling our enemy everything we know could very well tell them how we came to know it.