Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Non-Negotiables = Values

I recieved an email from a friend who was talking about a George Will collumn and was chiming in that people who are "Values Voters" are narrow and don't get it. This was part of her comment to me. That I had a

.....responsibility to understand others' ideas or reach common ground or compromise.

Really??

It's this part of your comment that demonstrates the lack of values. I have values. I won't outline them here. I don't think there is a question of for the most part what they are. You can probably tell me. That means I represent a clear set of beliefs and principles which you understand immediately. You may not agree, but you know where I stand. Values.

I have flown enough to know you have to have a good compass to get where I want to go. And good maps. And a clear idea of what the weather will be along the way so adjustments can be made enroute to get where I want to go.

Trying to compromise or reach common ground without a compass or a map or ignoring the weather means I will miss the mark or crash.

People who value peace more than justice (As in the word to justify, make straight, correct to a predetermined course, like adjust) are always conflicted, easily led, confused and in the end unsure of themselves. Oh and I think George Will is full of horsepucky.

Values Voters is obvious shorthand for people who see things as less gray and more black and white than do you. It's the whole idea where I am more OK if I am open-minded. There are lots of things I am NOT open-minded on. I have no intention of being open-minded on: Life (as oppoosed to killing children by abortion), Marriage and Family (as opposed to blatant homosexuality/gay marriage) and The Kingdom of God (as opposed to secular humanism and anti religious fervor). I have a aversion to open-mindedness when it comes to trying to decrease the capacity to reason. You see, when you have no position from which to reason other than open-mindedness you drift into mindlessness. That's why so much of the left's vacuous arguments about so many things are so astoundingly stupid sounding to those of us who are part of Will's shorthand.

If I am a Values Voter (I guess it fits so you have to convict not acquit) I will vote what I believe as opposed to the popular mainstream media pap bought without thinking by so much of the left and open-minded people.

My advice is: develop a strong compass of beliefs whatever you conceive them to be. Defend them. Live in them. Focus on them. Make them Non-Negotiable.

Most of what I hear from the left is Bush is an idiot, and other such. We're against everything. That's not values. That is just being contrary. If the left ever became refocused on what they believe as opposed to what they are against they might have a chance. They have no values (other than being against everything) ergo they can't be values voters.

So, ask yourself, what are the uncompromising values from which I will give no ground (common or otherwise). Live in those non-negotiable and you might become a values voter. Till then you are off course, no map, compass is broken, and there's a thunderstorm in your way.

That's a recipe for disaster.

Read this for a person with sound values regarding the War. She represents what a real values voter is. When discourse reaches this level I have hope. If you read the comments (and there are many) you will quickly see which side is reasoned and which side is just against everything.
Tell me what you are FOR, then stick to it. Don't just tell me what you are against.

In the end, you do have values. If I wanted to plant, buckthorn at Garfield would you be willing to compromise and reach common ground about it? See, you do have values. Just not in all areas.
Our values are different. We don't have to agree to be friends. We certainly won't agree on some. I have no interest in areas I hold dear to compromise at all. Nor do you.

If someone comes to you with an agenda that includes values you "Value" you will vote for them. In that you are a values voter. Values you Truly Value aren't open to compromise and common ground.

Get it?

1 comment:

Chief RZ said...

Well said. True Values are non-negotiable. They are true today, yesterday and tomorrow. This is what George W. Bush campaigned on and was elected for.