Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Trying it One More Time

Years ago when I was in business for myself in ND I asked Peggy to come in and help me. I thought she was smart (She is) and that she would be better at the job than anyone I could hire.

The problems developed when I told her I was in charge. She’s a first born too. We both like being in charge. We both are strong personalities. That lasted 6 weeks.

It’s hard to go home and sleep with the boss. Either way that goes.

We decided then that in the interest of marital bliss we would not work together any more.

Well, ever the optimist, I have asked her once more to make the leap. We visited several nurseries in Tennessee where the wife of the nurseryman is also the office person. It works very well.

She saw that model.

She has quit the school system. She is going to be the administrative half of the nursery biz.

I have higher hopes. Neither of us apart is as good as both of us together are. This isn’t for everyone. I know that. But I think it’s time. Besides, the ability to do what I do is a long-term security blanket for anyone. You can do this till you are a hundred. If Peggy can learn it, I’ve taught her to fish rather than storing up a bunch of fish that might rot in an IRA or 401K.

Oh, we still store, but isn’t it good to know how to make money anyway.

It’s nice having her here. Egos are wonderful, when they are under control. Particularly mine.

No comments: