Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I Find Romeo

Last Night Peggy and I went to see Romeo and Juliet (the Opera) by Gounod. We saw the Massenet iteration of this a few years ago and I was less than excited by it. Massenet can be good, I loved Thais.

Well, I was wowed. I don't mean impressed. Wowed. The singers were fabulous in every way. And the music, who can understand how anyone can write such beauty.

I will admit, I'm familiar with Faust and the Gounod Ave Maria. Both kept popping up. I guess like any composer who he is shows up over and over again. I once spoke with a prominent composer and asked him why his compositions all seemed to have a very similar sound. Didn't he ever just write something completely different.

He said music is like making love with the same woman, although each time is different there is a familiarly that makes it accessible and adds to the enjoyment.

This opera is also one of the great "date" operas of all time. La Boheme was made famous as a "Date" opera by "Moonstruck" the movie. I am here to say, I think this opera has it beat.

I wonder why I don't see it performed more? This was my first encounter.

Oh, and not to shock you, even Christians and Opera lovers think about love and sex. Just thought I'd let you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you hear something done with professionalism hit you. Saw a broadway play done years ago for the first time, and it totally changed my way of thinking how to do theater. Music and artsy things can do that through emotions. A while back your post said you were irked by people in church or worship who lean towards professionalism (maybe the word was polish-I forget) in how things are done. Why is it ok for anyone to be blown away by a hundred year old play done with quality, and not on Sunday? God deserves less? We're goin through a study on world view vs. God view. After a few weeks I'm coming to the conclusion we're ripping God off and talking out both sides. Expect less when you give less, my mama used to say

Gene said...

Cappy
ALL of the Chicago Lyric operas are quality. We have been season ticket holders since 1992. Before that when we lived in Europe we went to lots of opera. So,its not the professionalism, this had to do with the excellece of the composition.

Church should include those in the congregation involved. Not a concert.

Sometimes in that case too good a "performace" by the worship group is a hindrence. Sort of like everyone singing along the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Unless you are invited to do so you become a problem.

So viva la difference. I would far more rather have a person who could play one string on a guitar and sing off key but do so in the anointing of the Holy Ghost than have some well oiled machine wow everyone.

That's not what church is for. If you want that, become a Lyric Opera Season Ticket Holder.

I have their number.