Sunday, December 13, 2009

On the road meant OFF this time

Last week I had a business trip to make. I drove to DesMoines IA, then to Omaha. Stayed with My Sister and Brother in law near Omaha. Very nice visit. Then on to An early morning meeting Tues Morning. The weather report was radically bad.

I made my meeting, then after a brief call and check up, I headed north.

Hey, I'm from North Dakota. I can handle this.

Except I can't. I made my PM meeting in Granville near Orange City and then headed east. I wanted to get as far as possible. I made 11 miles. To Pocahontas IA. And was bizzarded in.

But by 11AM I decided I'm outa here.

Made another few miles and hit whiteout blizzard condition. I stopped after hitting a huge snowdrift. Made better friends of a Cenex gas station manager than I wanted to.

After deciding without any empirical information that things had improved. I launched off. It was better. But, on the road there was a white out. When it cleared up...I saw a car in the middle of the road. I saw a front end loader next to it. I could hit the front end loader, or the stalled car or the ditch.

I hit the ditch.

For the next two hours I waited to be pulled out. I was finally. A hundred bucks later I was back on the road a thousand pounds of snow heavier.

And it was cold.

After driving on 20 for a few hours I ended up on the interstate between Waterloo and Iowa City. It was glare packed snow. Almost impossible. But I made it. And I made it home.

I guess I had paid my running off the road dues.

It's been hard but I am happy to be alive. And have my car full whole.

The good news is the trip was worth the effort. I guess if it was easy anyone could do it.

1 comment:

rbb said...

Wow, and I thought we had it bad out here last week.

It rained on and off for two straight days and I had to wear long pants.

Glad you made it thought without a scratch.