Monday, December 13, 2010

My Father's Ring

My Father died when I was 13. He and my mother were killed in a traffic accident. Several people were killed in the accident. Tragic. My aunt and uncle Ruth and Earl raised my brother and sister and me up.

It was a gift. It keeps giving.

Now 51 years later I was given a ring that belonged to my father. It had been in a drawer somewhere. I don't have many things of his anymore. A few pictures and such. But this was meaningful. Ruth gave me another gift other than her time. I'm very touched. I wish there were other things that connected to the past like that.

It was in pretty bad shape. He might have been wearing it when he was killed. It was banged up pretty badly.

In any case I took it to a jeweler and had it straightened out, re-sized and cleaned.

Many years ago a signet ring was the thing to have. This is that.

Here are a couple pictures of it. It might not mean much to anyone else, but it means a lot to me.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gene, it's great to have that ring. What a reminder for you of many things that make a connection. Blessed memories as God remembers you and all of the believers in Christ as His own children for now and eternity. .... H. H.