Monday, December 23, 2013

Seasonal Greeting and a Merry Christmas

 It’s REALLY COLD here… winter has arrived; Happens every year about this time.  Staying warm and looking back over the past year, this has been an eventful, busy and changing 2013.

At our age things change… comings and goings.  We spend more time saying goodbye.  It was a long list in 2013.  Christmas eve last December we said final goodbye to my Uncle Earl, the man who was father to me most of my life. A little over a month later goodbye was said to my uncle Wally, my Aunt Inez passed, Barb Short my friend and Bookkeeper, my cousin Robert’s wife Laura in Virginia (I flew out, Robert has always been a hero to me and Laura was part of that), a College Friend Rick.  Then over Thanksgiving weekend my friend and one time business partner Larry  found rest after a long battle. 

You would think this makes us sad.. goodbye does…but that is the circle of life.  In the same year in our extended family: Tim and Megan, Sam and Suk, Mike and Erin and David and Heather all did their part to complete the circle and replenish the earth with new young souls. 

It’s been busy.  A project in Texas kept me hopping.  I met a man during that time who I respect a lot… Dave.  He has the job of unraveling difficult deals and in the middle of the mess he said goodbye to his dad too.  These kind of men are rare.

After Hurricane Sandy I was involved in the rebuilding of a beach on Long Island.  It was an exciting project and it was rewarding.  One of the largest I have ever been part of. 

At my age we are supposed to slow down I hear.  We attended my 50th High School Reunion.  It would have been more fun if there weren’t so many old people in attendance.   WAIT… we are all the same age.  Yet, of the 33 who graduated in 1963 all are still alive.  That is astounding.  I reacquainted myself with my High School football coach who also taught biology.  He made a much better biologist of me than a football player. 

We kept the wheels spinning on the old Buick to see nephew Josh, aspiring professional baseball player.  His last game was Senior day with the Nebraska Cornhuskers.  He didn’t play much because a few weeks later he had surgery for a joint and tendon injury.  Baseball is still calling.  Summer was different because of all this.  We spent the last several summers watching Josh play every night all summer long.  It was a great diversion.  This summer not.  So we did other things.

A month later after the 4th of July Peggy and I decided to take one of those epic trips our friends Rick and Eldra had taken.  We drove to Florida via Alabama and saw friends all along the way.  Then we spent a couple weeks enjoying the sun coming up and going down 3 different ways on three different beaches.  Panhandle, Eastern Shore and West side on Siesta Key.   We were on what is supposed to be the most beautiful beach in the USA.  I’m not convinced… but it was nice.  One thing is for sure, summer is a much better time to visit Florida.  The weather is nicer.  Coming back we drove to Memphis. Went to Graceland.  It was worth the trip.  I enjoyed it a great deal.  Second time for Peggy.  Then we went downtown. Beale Street.  It was bike night.  Hot.  Beautiful.  We walked up and down the street and listened to some of the greatest blues and jazz you can hear live… and free.  I made sure we paid our part when it was great.  It was really worth the side trip.

After we got back we decided to entertain.  Well kinda.  Our son Tim is a contractor.  I’m not.  We invited him to come down and work (for pay) doing the kind of thing he is so good at.  He brought the whole family and a travel trailer.  WOW.  That was something. For a week life was upside down.  Our house now has updated bathrooms, kitchen floor, attic insulation, new front door and a host of other things.  I don’t do home improvement. I don’t even watch it on TV.  I get the cold sweats when I see these programs so I don’t watch them.  Fortunately I have sons who are better at these things than I am.  Give me a wrench or a shovel and I’m good to go.

A few weeks later Kevin came to visit for a week and he was handed a paint brush.  He knew why he was coming and it was a paid vacation for him.   So 38W looks a lot better than it used to.  He by the way has a new gig in Texas.  Coffee.  More as that goes along.

With all the driving it became apparent that the old Buick with 300,000 miles on it was starting to gray out.  In September new wheels showed up for Peggy and me.  She prayed the Janis Joplin prayer, “Oh Lord won’t ya buy me…”  OK, it’s not new. 2002. Neither is my NEW (2003) Buick.  We don’t do new cars.  We just buy new miles.  Nice cars.

The trip to Dakota for Thanksgiving was eventful coming back to Chicagoland.  It was a reminder of why we don’t do that much any more.  I don’t drive at night much if I don’t have to.  And winter trips are a real challenge. Fair weather travel is now our motto.

We are in good health for this time in our lives, and we still very much in love.   I am one of the most fortunate men on the planet.  Life is good.  At this point I have a lot of projects (for pay) going on and work every day.  It’s good. I love to keep busy.  And it helps pay the bills.

Ministry wise, good things are happening.  I have backed away from involvements that don’t fit my core ministry.  I have enjoyed involvement as I can at Crusaders in the City.  The blogging is fun and Facebook is a constant source of interaction.  It keeps my theological muscles exercised.

Peggy keeps busy doing things with people she helps out.  I could not be who I am without her.  That is the truth.  She does so many things for me that help me be productive.  Behind every good man is a GREAT woman.  Our life is a living testimony to that.

I look forward to the next year.  We are in the process of selling off parts of the business    to focus on the professional consulting and appraisal work I do and nursery brokerage.  It is something I can do till the last breath I take as long as I can talk on the phone and run a spreadsheet.

Have a wonderful 2014… and God willing we will see or hear from you soon or next Christmas.  Blessings to you all.




1 comment:

goprairie said...

you didn't get back to the coffee-more later part. when we went to that meeting in batavia you talked about a career switch for son. there is a big coffee blending poster in a restroom of a sandwich shop i frequent, and every time i see the poster, i think of you and wonder about how the thing with the son and the coffee turned out. you put in a teaser but never resolved it. do tell!!!