Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Homeless by Choice

I didn't go to church last night. I spent it with the homeless in DuPage County.  Affluent area.  That's the problem.

Here is a spectrum what I see. 

Mothers alone with children refugee from abuse in the home.  NO QUALM.  They need to be supported above all.

Men and women who are trying to get free from drugs.  You bet.  If they are serious, I'm on their side.

Some are mentally impaired, either low capacity or mentally unstable.  They need treatment or permanent housing (homes for such).   This is not what a civil society does.

A few on the rebound (men and women) who for no fault off their own other than perhaps wrong place wrong time or one bad choice are now on the street.  They want off, they want to make it back, a hand to help is a great thing to do. Think the movie HAPPYNESS.

There is however a group of homeless I do not want to enable any more.  Unfortunately there are too many of them.  They have figured out the system. They know all the places to crash.  Where the "bread" is. They show up in church for free stuff.   Food pantries are their friends and the churches where you can sleep on the floor are the residence of choice.  They live off the system for free.

For those who are not homeless you have a hard time believing that there are such, but I have met them, I know them.  They know how to work it.  They can live off the enabling of others.

They are not the majority.. but too many and they are taking beds and food that should go to the truly needy.

People, our compassion gets ahead of our common sense.  AND yes I did give money.. and time.

Prayer. 

and

Admonition

I would like to clean our homeless shelters of these leeches...

No comments: