Monday, September 05, 2005

Rehnquist and Me

Everyone has a double, a doppelganger, a un-genetic twin.

There are people who make a living impersonating famous people because they look just like them. I never cashed in.

My double just died. Chief Justice William Rehnquist.

20 years ago when I moved to Chicago I was always amazed at people who would look at me funny, who would comment they knew who I was, and some would outright ask me. Walking thru airports particularly on the east coast was a hoot. Here'’s the strange part. I didn'’t know what it was all about until one day a man stopped me on the streets of downtown, asked me, then said, ""“You look exactly like the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court""”.

Of course, that'’ll get your attention. So, I found pictures. Sure enough. He had the temerity to look like me. The rascal.

Remember the movie Dave? The President of the United States has a stroke, they find a man that looks just like him, he impersonates the President. Does pretty well. Falls in love with the soon to be widowed first lady. Happy endings all around. I liked the movie. Thought it might mean that someday I would get a call to sit on the supreme court in lieu of the Chief Justice. My phone never rang. I guess my shot at power is gone. Pity, I would have been good at it. HEH!

I gained a pound or two. He got older. It was always interesting to see him age. I kept thinking, maybe I'’ll look that good 20 years from now. When he was 60 and I was 40, he looked young and I looked, well like I look now. We Redlins have this habit of hitting an age and stopping.

I hope the Chief Justice rests in peace.







He always was a good looking fellow.

1 comment:

NodakJack said...

Be grateful noone ever told you that you resemble Sandra Day O'Connor.