Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I will have Compassion on whom I will have Compassion - God

Many people with a poor understanding of the nature of God is that he always blesses everyone, that everyone gets an unlimited measure of mercy and compassion, that God is just a big sugar daddy looking for ways to make your life better. This misunderstanding usually is parroted by people without much depth who criticize others with statements of the following preface:

  • How can you call yourself a Christian if
  • Jesus only spoke about Love and Forgiveness
  • If God is a God of Love howcome
  • and my all time un-favorites, Jesus said, don't be judgmental toward sin
  • and he said: let he who without sin cast the first stone so we aren't supposed to be ____________
So, we are supposed to be as un-wise and indiscrimating as this god they have in their imaginations. It suits their purposes of course, don't question my motives, just give and close a blind eye to what I do. We used to call that being an enabler. Too harsh? OK, read on.

I'm not going to try to help you understand the Holy nature of God. I don't myself. But if you believe any of the above, I need you to think about this verse. God says to Moses in exodus 33:19. "" I will have mercy on those I will have mercy and compassion on those on whom I will have compassion"". Paul the Apostle reiterates this in Romans 9:15. Read all of Romans 9 and you will get a big picture of the situation.

The essence of these verses is simply this, God is no respecter of persons, we are not to ask why. God is not injust but he's not just according to human measurements. He does discriminate in his mercies, judgments and compassions.

So should we.

Julie Neidlinger (I will stop promoting her when she gets boring which may not be anytime soon) writes a brilliant essay on Compassion. I think everyone who struggles with wise giving needs to read this. I have forwarded it to several pastor friends and have found it to be pretty sound theology. They agree.

In The Chronicles of Narnia, an allegory by C. S. Lewis, the author has two girls, Susan and Lucy, getting ready to meet Aslan the lion, who represents Christ. Two talking animals, Mr. and Mrs. Beaver, prepare the children for the encounter.

"“Ooh,"” said Susan, "“I thought he was a man. Is he quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."”

"“That you will, dearie," said Mrs. Beaver. "“And make no mistake, if there'’s anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they'’re either braver than most or else just silly."

"Then isn'’t he safe?"” said Lucy.

"“Safe?"” said Mr. Beaver. "“Don'’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? Of course he isn'’t safe. But he'’s good. He'’s the king, I tell you!"”

We have a King, Jesus, he isn't safe, but you can trust him.

No comments: