Saturday, December 25, 2004

Christmas is Hard Work

Every year I go thru the same emotions. Anticipation at seeing everyone, anticipation of the good things of the Christmas Season. I won't say (admit) I'm ever disappointed, but there are too many good things:
Too much food
Too many presents (incoming and outgoing) Too much TV (when did the NFL become the ordained methodology for spending Christmas eve and Christmas day)

And too few of the things I wish there was more of:
reminiscences
I love you's
Hugs
Meaningful conversations about other than politics (as much as I love it)

All in all it's worth it all. The 1500 miles I'll end up putting on the Lesabre is worth it all. The memories made which become the raw material for later reminiscence are worth it. Even if I know better than to believe the Nativity was a Late Dec event, the fact that He came and will come again is reason enough to engage in the tradition with all it's pluses and minuses.

Sometimes I have an Ebenezer S. moment. Like when I'm sitting silent in a room full of people with a tree, little children and a TV regaling the last stand at the goal line that I want to stand up and say Bah Humbug.

However, God Bless Us EVERYONE!

Merry Christmas

No comments: