Monday, August 01, 2005

If I just Spend a Little more I’ll get so Much More and other Lies

I eat out more than I should and more than my waistline needs. I like a really good restaurant. I enjoy nice ambience. But I’m happiest when I get really good food and really good service at a really good price. The Greeks in our area seem to have an edge on this. They give you the most for the least money of anyone.

We have lots of restaurants that come and go. Too high priced. I know their complaint. We can’t compete. Our costs are too high to make it. Wait staff expects too much.

The essence of the complaint of the restaurateur about to go out of business is if people were just willing to pay a little more they would get so much more.

I’ve been the recipient of the “little more”. It’s indiscernible from the a lot less group.

The restaurant business is tough and cruel. That’s why I’m not in it.

The whole idea of if we just had more money per plate served we could do so much better.

Public education had learned from the restaurateurs.

I’m sick to death of the spending per student quotient as a measure of how much we care. Illinois has the highest, lowest, least, best I don’t know what spending per student.

I won’t point out the fact that many states spend fractionally per student and turn out a good product. Sometimes even great. I won’t point out that in Chicago in some areas per student is now $20,000 plus per year. They still can’t read, write or do arithmetic.

This article in the Chicago Tribune this morning made me nauseous. Text without subscribing here

One more time, spending more doesn’t get you a better meal necessarily nor does it produce a better education. Never did, never will.

In the pursuit of full disclosure, my wife works in the St Charles Schools. I know of what I speak.

Charging for filet mignon and serving McDonalds Double Cheeseburgers.

1 comment:

NodakJack said...

I see where Morgan-Quitno has put out a list of the "smartest states." North Dakota is #19. Illinois is #24. Minnesota, #7.
The explanation of criteria is available on their website.