Thursday, January 05, 2006

Fire and Death in the Hole (Reflections on the West Virginia Mine Disaster)

My heart goes out to the folks who have suffered loss. I admire their faith and steadfastness (mostly).


Here’s my thoughts:


The media who jumped the gun on this should be ashamed of their behavior. They did no fact checking, no digging. When wildfire started, they fanned the flame. What ever happened to the journalistic maxim, "If your mother says I love you, check it out". And they blame the bloggers for being irresponsible. THEY broke the people’s hearts, not the company.


I was sure that at some point the liberals would figure out a way on how to blame Bush for all this. It didn’t take long. Thursday night on Primetime I see a reporter opine that lax mine inspections because of Bush policies are partially responsible for this disaster. Is there no end to their hatred of this President? They are shameful.


Mining is dangerous. Not as dangerous as farming. We lost people every year on the farm in various ways. Don’t want danger? Work at Wal-Mart. Pays less but very very safe (mostly).


This is a case of the cost of the 100% solution. 60% mine safety is cheap and unacceptable. 70% is more costly by half again and better. 80% is double the cost. Etc. 100% mine safety means 10 pounds of coal are mined annually at a cost of $50,000 per pound.


I got a micro picture of how it will be when the wrath of God comes. Most people believe that they will find God at the end on when trouble comes. It’s not true.


I remember black box tape recordings of people in a burning airplane in Manila in the 70s. They weren’t calling out to God, they were cursing him loudly. Vile evil things.


Then there was the plane that went down in Sioux Falls in the mid 80’s. After it crashed people leaped over each other without much consideration for anyone but themselves. I saw an unedited report that day. The man was cursing God out for the whole thing. I thought it would be better if he stayed away from Church for a while.


At the mine disaster I saw the service on TV when they thought everyone was safe and only one man had died. They were whooping it up. Bless God, Amazing Grace etc. The one man who died (they thought) family was there, the pastor asked if people would please come up and pray for them, there were about 140 people there, 3 came up and prayed.


Then, the bad news came, no more amazing grace how sweet the sound. The god they thought they loved had let them down. They begin to say things like, what good is god, there is no god, _ _ _ _ god. _ _ _ _ Jesus. Rough stuff. Angry stuff.


I didn’t lose anyone in that accident. I don’t have the right to judge. Maybe. I’'ve had crisis, loss, disaster, pain, suffering and shock in my life. I have sat and held the hand of many who were going thru things as hard as this and they didn't curse God. Their anchor held.


When I heard the report of what the people said I immediately thought of a passage from the Book of the Revelation: The fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and his kingdom was plunged into darkness. Men gnawed their tongues in agony and cursed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, but they refused to repent of what they had done. (Revelation 16:10-11 NIV)


There will come a day when God will put all men in a place where none can look God in the eye and say, I never had a chance, I never knew, I wasn't aware. There will be no excuse. When God pours out his bowls in an attempt to cause people to come back to him, it will have in large part the opposite effect. They will curse God and die.


Sadly that’s exactly what happened to several when the small bowl was poured out on West Virginia. What will happen when the real woes begin?


It depends on who you are anchored to.


No comments: