Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Right Place Wrong Guy

I have heard more than once from journalists and politicians that what Iraq needs is a “George Washington” to lead the country to independence. 

The lament has been that there is no such person on the horizon. 

 

I’m not convinced.  I watched 6 hours of a history of the crusades on the History Channel. I also saw a good movie, “Kingdom of Heaven”.  Also about the crusades.  My relatives according to ancient family trees were Germans who were part of the crusades into the Holy Land.  Since then I have done some reading.

 

Iraq doesn’t need a George Washington, Iraq needs a Saladin.  He is still a hero in the Muslim world.  What’s interesting is he wasn’t an Arab.  He was a Kurd.  Or if you like a Meade.

 

If you look at those links you will soon figure out why even today Muslims honor his name and revere his victories.

 

I would love to see a Saladin rise up.  I wonder if Saddam saw himself as a Saladin since Saladin was (like Saddam) born in Tikrit in Iraq. 

 

But, lets look for a new Saladin.  What is interesting is that the current prime minister is from Kurdistan, a Meade. 

 

Symbolism is everything in Islam.  Keep your eyes peeled.

 

No comments: