Thursday, April 13, 2006

HYBRED

Yesterday I had to go deliver some plants to Walkerton Indiana.  While bumbling down I-80 at 70 miles an hour (or be run over) with 4 lanes of traffic on both sides of the interstate I encountered a sight that made me laugh out loud.
 
A huge motorhome, (you know the kind, size of a city bus, costs a hundred grand) was cruising with the rest of the traffic and on it's trailer hitch was a small car trailer with a small car in tow.  That's not terribly unusual. 
 
I know from asking that one of those big 2 person busses will get 5 miles to the gallon.  This was a gasser not a diesel. 
 
So what made me laugh?  The little car in tow was a Prius.  A hybrid car.  And the license plate was one of those vanity plates.  HYBRED. I know they spelled it wrong.  They can. It's their car.
 
I have this vision of a retired couple with lots of money who are driving this behemoth to every state in the union, see America first kind of thing, filling the hundred gallon tank every 500 miles to the tune of $270 per shot and then when they pull into the KOA drive off to see the sights in their little Prius with the license plate that screams, "We're saving the planet and saving gas, we drive a hybrid".
 
Never mind that the contradiction is mindboggling.  I'll give them a break.  Maybe they like the Prius.  I mean it's maintainance cost will be much higher in the long run as batteries need replacing and will make operating the motor home look cheap and the hybrid cost a third more to buy than a simple compact car.  They can afford it and if having a cape makes them think they are superman, have at it. 
 
It just made me laugh.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh but not in a ha ha way.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/columnists/conservation/article/0,13199,489794,00.html

Your boys are tearing my country down bit by bit and you are helping them.

Why do you hate America?