Sunday, June 18, 2006

4851 Days of Dad

I was given a gift.  4851 days of my father's life on earth for me as his son.  Before 5000 he was gone.  I was 13.  It was the end of this month in 1959.  47 years ago.  Seems longer and like yesterday.
 
Fortunately a great man Fathered me and my siblings. Earl Redlin.
 
But my DAD, the man who was my genetic and biological parent only had 4851 days to give. 
Had he known he would have acted differently towards me.  We didn't always get along.  I was 13.  That should explain a lot.  Had I know he only had 4851 days I would have acted differently toward him.
 
And our last words were words of a parent toward a 13 year old kid.  Not really great.  Both ways.
 
Has that affected me?  I guess it has but I don't know if I know.
 
So, this fathers day, To Ralph J Redlin.
 
I honor you.  Too late, but on time for this year.
 
 

No comments: