Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I'm Still Reeling

Sunday Night we attended the church we often do on Sunday nights.  It’s a great church and I have a hope and a promise for a church of equal quality in our area.  God said he would do it so I stand on the promise.

 

Something happened Sunday night that set me back a bit.  There was a guest speaker.  He was a pastor from one of the larger churches in Uganda.  His name is Jackson Senyonga.  He came to visit and speak. He was trying to raise money for an orphanage they built in Uganda.  His congregation runs about 16,000 in Sunday attendance.  A typical offering is less than $2000 total for a Sunday.  They are poor people.

  

The government was about to shut down this orphanage that house several hundred AIDS orphaned children.  They needed to put in a sewage system shut down.  Fear of disease.  A valid fear.

 

The orphanage needed $200,000 immediately to do this work.   He contacted 4 churches in our part of the country and asked to come make an appeal.  That’s why he was in Rockford last Sunday.

 

Sunday night was the 3rd service he spoke at in the church we were attending.  Pastor Lyon got up, made a simple announcement, he said, “I know we need a new building, but I promised the Lord that in building and paying for these things I would never abandon our commitment to supporting the work he calls on us to support.  We will cut our own expenses and postpone our own desires to do the work God puts in our hearts”.   With that the plate was passed.

 

By the end of the night, with fewer than 500 in attendance and with about 1200 attending the morning services, the total cash contributions for the day were $35,000.  There were pledges of another $11,000.   Pastor Lyon felt bad that the Church could “only” contribute $46,000.  I’m sure the other $4000 will come in.  That orphanage offering was the second offering in addition to the regular tithes and offerings of the night.

 

What astonished me was the ease and passion with which a simple offering became overflow.  No pressure.  No pain.  No emotionalism.  To be honest I haven’t decided what I will give so whatever I decide to do isn’t even in the total yet.  I know I am not alone in that decision to pray over the offering I might make.  Pastor Senyonga will get all the money he needs.

 

What astounded me as well was the relative wealth of the people in attendance.  Most of those who attend this Rockford Church are not wealthy, high placed, big earners, or elegant.   Compared to where I live they are actually kind of poor.  They are regular Joes and Janes of all colors, shapes and sizes.  They just do what God tells them to do.

 

I have always felt that lovers of God make better givers then those who are passive or nominal about Jesus.  I remember about a year ago attending a missions meeting with about a hundred people and raising $50,000 in an hour for missions.  I was blown away.  The people were so happy to be part of this.  I'll never forget that night.

 

That’s what I love so much about Pentecostals.  You don’t need to beat people up, just lay it before them and they will give and give and give.  They are willing to kick in time and treasure without pressure.  They see it as a privilege to be partnered with the work of God.

 

That’s the reason I have such a desire to see this kind of Body of Christ in the Fox Valley.  If God could get hold of the hearts of the people in the Fox Valley the world could be changed.  This is a serious challenge and is on the heart of God.  I know it like I know anything.  Nothing less than totally sold out is satisfactory.

 

Close circuit to some of my readers.  

Olfunso, this is the partnership that is possible, don’t lose hope.  I know you are a key to this.  Steve, yes, this is the church you attended it’s so much more than you ever saw they’ve had a breakthrough.

Charlie, I thought about you.  You have dreamed with me for this.  It’s time.

Cass, spirit filled believers staying home Sunday in our area need a home.

Mike G, Rod H, and Curt F.  There is true revival in our area.  We just need to move it 50 miles southeast to the Fox Valley.

Todd - Breakthrough is on the way, wait till Friday night.

 

There is release when the Spirit of God is at work.

No comments: