Monday, January 15, 2007

The Net Result of Evangelism

In order to get a grip on evangelism in a Biblical fashion we need to frame what the net results of evangelism are.

We know or at least think we know what the net results of an effective Apostle, Prophet, Teacher and Pastor is. For a teacher would be well grounded and prepared disciples; pastor would be secure and nurtured disciples, prophet would be commissioned and encouraged disciples, apostle would be placed and well ordered disciples all in the fellowship of believers.

So, with all that in mind, what are the net results of an evangelist?

I did a study of all the evangelized people in the Bible. I was looking for commonality. I was looking for scriptural basis from where we can get a glimpse of what an evangelists net results are.

Surprising, or perhaps not so surprising, there are not a huge number. Oh, people were added to the Church daily in the New Testament. But few real conversions are identified such that we can sort thru and develop some truths.

Of the ones that are, here are a few threads:

They were all seeking. The evangelist’s effort was to answer the questions they were asking.
Nicodemous, the Woman at the Well, The Greeks seeking Jesus, The Rich Young Ruler, The 3000, The Jailer, Cornelius.

There were lots of failed evangelical attempts. Felix, Festus, Agrippa, Paul at Athens, the mob at Ephesus, even Jesus in Nazareth.

Jesus even appeared bodily to over 500 people after resurrection. A pretty big deal I'd say. But in the upper room there were only 120 on the day of Pentecost. What happened to the 380? Golf game?
From those three postulates here are 3 conclusions:
1. Evangelizing takes place only after inquiry. If a person isn't asking the question your answer is useless. The questions usually come on the heels of a personal crisis of some kind. Much of what we think of as evangelism is answering questions people aren't asking.
2. Attempted evangelistic persuasion without the calling of the Holy Ghost is useless effort. In fact it will only cause a riot or ridicule.
3. Information, even supernatural information like a person rising from the dead isn't enough to make disciples. Hunger must be stirred and fed.
I have read carefully all 3 biblical references to evangelism I have cross referenced that to include any reference of which there are 4, to any kind of worker in the Gospel. I have read the whole book of Second Timothy over and over again to get a glimpse into what evangelism really is and what we should or shouldn't expect from evangelism.

I know that in the Greek there is an equivalency of evangelism to missionary preaching. I'm probably not going overseas anytime soon. Likely neither are you. So how does that work? Unless we look at our mission field as within 10 yards, the distance of a first down, our neighbors, our friends, our associates we miss the point.

If I am doing the work of an evangelist what should be the net result? If I'm a hole digger, I did a hole, I do the work of a hole digger, I get a hole, and a pile of dirt. If I'm an evangelist what result should be expected of me to wear that ministry office appellation?

To say conversions are the net result of evangelism is not accurate. To say that decisions for Jesus are net results may be missing the point. Both are part but there is more. A clue. Conversions and decisions are measurable results but for the most part superficial and short lived. I know how it is. So do you. You have had many conversions and decisions who fell off the radar screen completely. So have I.

I think as I have really tried to dig down very deep I have found only ONE passage that in my opinion really grasps the heart of evangelism.

Here's the backdrop to the story:
Jerusalem, about 30 AD, just before Passover.
It takes place just after The Palm Sunday Hosanna’s. The story of Jesus’ raising Lazarus from the dead is on everyone’s lips. Judas has now decided to betray Jesus. The Sanhedrin leadership is plotting on how to get rid of this pesky Galilean.

Some Greeks have come to town to be part of the Passover Celebration. If they were really from Greece or were simply Gentiles they ask Phillip for an audience with Jesus.

Jesus, not being rude decides to tell the disciples what was about to happen and to start to instruct them in genuine evangelism.

From John, Chapter 12, Verses 20-50 New Living Translation:

Some Greeks who had come to Jerusalem to attend the Passover paid a visit to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee. They said, "Sir, we want to meet Jesus." Philip told Andrew about it, and they went together to ask Jesus.
Jesus replied, "The time has come for the Son of Man to enter into his glory. The truth is, a kernel of wheat must be planted in the soil. Unless it dies it will be alone-a single seed. But its death will produce many new kernels-a plentiful harvest of new lives. Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who despise their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. All those who want to be my disciples must come and follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And if they follow me, the Father will honor them. Now my soul is deeply troubled. Should I pray, `Father, save me from what lies ahead'? But that is the very reason why I came! Father, bring glory to your name."

Then a voice spoke from heaven, saying, "I have already brought it glory, and I will do it again." When the crowd heard the voice, some thought it was thunder, while others declared an angel had spoken to him.
Then Jesus told them, "The voice was for your benefit, not mine. The time of judgment for the world has come, when the prince of this world* will be cast out. And when I am lifted up on the cross,* I will draw everyone to myself." He said this to indicate how he was going to die.

"Die?" asked the crowd. "We understood from Scripture that the Messiah would live forever. Why are you saying the Son of Man will die? Who is this Son of Man you are talking about?"

Jesus replied, "My light will shine out for you just a little while longer. Walk in it while you can, so you will not stumble when the darkness falls. If you walk in the darkness, you cannot see where you are going. Believe in the light while there is still time; then you will become children of the light." After saying these things, Jesus went away and was hidden from them. But despite all the miraculous signs he had done, most of the people did not believe in him. This is exactly what Isaiah the prophet had predicted:

"Lord, who has believed our message?
To whom will the Lord reveal his saving power?" Isaiah 53:1

But the people couldn't believe, for as Isaiah also said,


"The Lord has blinded their eyes
and hardened their hearts-
so their eyes cannot see,
and their hearts cannot understand,
and they cannot turn to me
and let me heal them." Isaiah 6:10

Isaiah was referring to Jesus when he made this prediction, because he was given a vision of the Messiah's glory. Many people, including some of the Jewish leaders, believed in him. But they wouldn't admit it to anyone because of their fear that the Pharisees would expel them from the synagogue. For they loved human praise more than the praise of God.

Jesus shouted to the crowds, "If you trust me, you are really trusting God who sent me. For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me. I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the darkness. If anyone hears me and doesn't obey me, I am not his judge-for I have come to save the world and not to judge it. But all who reject me and my message will be judged at the day of judgment by the truth I have spoken. I don't speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me gave me his own instructions as to what I should say. And I know his instructions lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells me to say!"

Now, if we take Jesus at his word, if we see how he just a few days before his brutal death on the Cross stripped naked uses his time to instruct, he gives us clear instruction on what and how to get the desired net results in evangelism.

Tomorrow, How many Evangelists does it take to change a light bulb?

No comments: