Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Now for a Brief Commercial

Mostly this blog is about stuff I'm thinking about, things I am getting insight into, things that impress or annoy me, and just generalized whining about things.

Some is serious, some is very very serious. Some is an attempt at bad humor.

Some is meant to just allow me to air an opinion. Not EVERYTHING I write carries with it some divine or otherwise inspiration. Most of it does not. When it does, I'll tell you.

I am in the middle of a thesis on evangelism. I haven't given up, I'm just not quite ready to post the next section. Still writing. I'll post it soon.

So it's in this vein (Not inspired, irritated) that I want to respond to a common news story that wanders across the pages of the newspapers of our minds:

"Most young people today get their news from fake news casters like John Stewart and Colbert".

I don't watch either, I'm not hip. But I have tuned into both from time to time. I don't find them all that amusing. I don't think much of the gravity of the world a topic for a knee slap. "ooooo that 9-11, wasn't that a hoot, how bout those towers coming down, WOW, what a laugh". Mostly in my opinion these two clowns are just clowns. Clowns are clowns. Like a class clown.

But to you weak minded sycophants who watch them, they are the funny boys who were class clowns in high school. You wanted to be in. You wanted to be hip. Being out of sync with the latest jokester was a place that no hopeful up and coming preppie wanted to be. SO, you laughed. You didn't always think it funny when they made fun of the little blind girl, or the kid that walked kinda funny from polio; that was funny wasn't it, when the class clown imitated her limp.

So, you went along. You laughed on cue. You were "IN".

Nothing's changed. Now you are older, maybe much older and you still laugh at the class clowns. Pretending it's just humor. Never mind that they are creating a mindless acceptance that nothing is funny except they say it is and nothing is serious ever.

So, if you are one who watches these two class clowns making a humor living on the misfortune of others, especially if you consider yourself a Christian, I have the right and responsibility to ask you, Who are you really following?

Try reading a newspaper. Try looking at some objective news sources who don't live from skewing the very values and freedoms that allow you to look at these two
stunted 40 somethings acting like pimply faced 13 year olds.

They are bad for your spirit, bad for your brain and bad for your adulthood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do not worry so much, be angered or annoyed. Use that energy for positive things. Choice is very personal. Walk in the light Gene,
where you belong.