Sunday, January 28, 2007

Prayer with a Pencil

Among the Magazines we get in our home is Guideposts. It's the publication Norman Vincent Peal founded. I think it's a gift from Peggy's Mom.

I like it. It's always got at least one redeeming article or thought. So, I glean it. There was a little piece in this months Guideposts written by John Sherrill in the Pass It On section.

If you don't know who John Sherrill is, he wrote the book, "They Speak with Other Tongues". It was a Christian Best Seller years ago. It helped non-charismatics come to some understanding of the reality experienced by those of us who are.

John Sherrill who is fairly old now, who used to be the editor of Guideposts and is now called a "Roving Editor" was talking about his time spent in the waiting room of the hospital.

What impressed me was this passage from his article:

I used to pray silently for the other patients waiting with me, but I could never stay focused.

Now I "Pray with a Pencil". I write my concerns and questions directly to God. Then I write what I believe I hear in reply. I get so involved in our intimate conversations that time flied by.

My prescription: Bring along a notepad -- and a pencil -- to your next appointment.

I began doing this 6 years ago and it changed my prayer life. I get words of encouragement, clarity, answers, insights and just plain spiritual food all by myself in the quiet time.

I recommend it. Inquire of the Lord, write it down, look at it, pray in tongues if you can for a while and then, write what you hear.

It will astound you. It does me, constantly.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

That's intriguing. As you probably know, I've recently been pondering about prayer, so this is very timely.

Thank you.