Monday, April 16, 2007

For Earl on the Holy Ghost

A couple weeks ago I began a series on the Holy Spirit. I didn't stop it, I am in the middle of my busy season and have all I can do to keep my head above water. My friend Earl asked me about this. Here's a little more for him.

I have been working in a denominational church for the last few years. Good people. Love God. Educated. Flat.

BUT:

Now that I have been back among Spirit Filled people in ministry I have come to this conclusion, trying to do ministry without the Holy Spirit's fullness is like:

Playing tennis while blind.

Singing with an orchestra while deaf.

No matter how much training, skill or ability in the flesh you have it is always going to be far short of the mark without the fullness of the Spirit. Preaching, teaching, ministering, or leading a ministry without the Holy Ghost will be like Blind Tennis or Deaf Singing. Clumsy and out of tune. Nothing to do with ability or talent.

The difference is tangible.

I told some denominational mainline Pastors the truth about this and they were insulted. I guess I thought I had earned the right to tell them the truth. I was wrong.

I has simply said, that to conduct a prophetic meaningful charismatic service for people filled with the Holy Ghost was something they were incapable of doing. In spiritual leadership in those conditions they were deaf singers, blind tennis pros. I'm sorry they were insulted but I am more and more of the opinion that ministry without the power of the Holy Ghost is mostly tepid stuff.

All the training, seminary, instruction, books and experience in the world can't make up for the fullness of the Holy Ghost. I wish that wasn't insulting. It wasn't meant to be. It's just the truth.

No comments: