Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Signs of the Spiritual Sea Change

I have for a while noticed a change in the books that are being sold in Christian Bookstores. If you know me, I'm not a big fan of most Christian Books. I find many of them empty. I have hundreds I have consumed and am sorry for half of the ones I have read.

Tonight I stopped at the Family Christian Bookstore in our area. I bought a Bible for my son. Some years ago, Tim Campbell bought me a
New Living Translation Bible. I have come to use it more and more. I find it very accessible. I don't use it in preaching so much but I use it in developing understanding. Well done guys who did this work. This is a hidden treasure. If you don't have one, you will find it really enlightening. Anyway:

While I was at the bookstore I noticed at the front of the store they have a rack of the current bestsellers. Since I don't spend much time in Christian Bookstores I looked them over. Suddenly it hit me. I knew most of the writers on the rack. I had been to some of their meetings. Joyce Meyer. John Eldridge. I was shocked. The bulk of Christian books being purchased today are written by
Charismatics. For those in Rio Linda, Those would be your tongue talking, radical, pentecostal types.

Maybe not the scholarly of writers all the time. But they write things originating from the Spirit of God that touches the soul of man. They are able to create a hunger and thirst for more of God because they deliver living water from the printed page. Never "Dry" reading.

20 years ago nearly NONE of the bestsellers in Christian books were written by those in Pentecost. In fact they had a "section" right next to Cults for Charismatics. We were separate and unequal.

No more. I'm happy, pleased, thrilled that the message of the fullness of the Holy Spirit is being spread abroad in Christendom. This is not triumphalism. This is reporting something you can discover for yourself by googling "Christian Bestselling Books" as I did. There are several lists. They are good news.

I see this as a positive sea change. Maybe this heralds the final nail in the coffin of cold dead religion as has been practiced for too long in too many dying churches led by nominal quasi-christians. Maybe the fire of the Holy Ghost is being spread once again. I can only hope and pray.

No comments: