Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 1959

I have memories.

It was in the year when my parents died. Ellendale had Memorial Day parades. Color Guards. I was just 14. We marched in the parade.

The military was made up of those who wore their uniforms that fit well a decade and a half before. World War Two was a fresh memory. So was Korea.

Those strong men who marched. Names I have forgotten but faces I have not. They were men who were not confused about what defense of our nation meant or it's important result.

The flags waved, the bugles blew, the men of Ellendale stood strong.

There was a confidence in seeing these mighty men. You had a sense that if anything bad came along the guns they carried could and would be placed in service once more and would repel any evil.

I know that was the impression of a child, a young impressionable man.

But it's still there. I suspect that Ellendale no longer has men of honor who make up the honor guard and march with guns in hand. There are few young boys who stand in admiration of those men. Most of those men are dead and gone now.

And we are weaker for it all.

Thank Almighty God for our vets.....every one.

No comments: