Monday, August 02, 2010

This morning I was blessed to take part in a church service in Galena IL. It is a new church, not yet a year old. Running about 50 a Sunday. About 70 on the "Rolls". It's a Lutheran Church. What makes it unique and with a special flavor is it is led by a Black Baptist Pastor. I greeted the people, gave communion and laid hands on the sick for healing. It was not your normal Lutheran church Service. Yet not Pentecostal. Just free and spirit led.

Pastor Dennis was hired by the denomination from the Baptists to plant this church. He's doing a good job. I offered a word of Prophecy to him that I hope he will hear. This is part of TWO trends I see.

1. I was taught long ago that a Black Pastor couldn't lead an all white church. I have never believed it but didn't see many examples. Now I am seeing more and more. My preferred worship setting would be more the Black Church than anything else. I don't think I am alone in this any more. In speaking with Apostle Greg Howse I asked the question and he said that MANY Caucasians are migrating into his services. I think there's a trend here and I attribute it to the prominence and popularity of TD Jakes. Many of us read his books, watch his TV shows and respect his influence. He has single handedly made the Black Church style a preferred style for many. That doesn't break my heart one bit. It's no longer just unique or something different. Its a worship style and preaching style that speaks to many that nothing else can. The work I have the Pastor was, be more yourself. I know you were hired by the Denomination, but you must be yourself. Don't try to be what you think they expect you to be. I hope he hears this.

2. There were many seminarians available to plant this church. They didn't want to. It's too much like work. So, they don't. They are looking for a nice secure salary in an established work. I know some of the Sr Executives in the local northern district of a Major Denomination who wants to plant churches. They have informed their seminary NOT to send them any more people. They are not hard workers and are looking for a nice "Package". He is now hiring pastors from other fellowships to plant churches for them. My credentialing denomination, the International Pentecostal Holiness Church has pastors available. This major denomination just hired one of them to plant a Church in Chicago. No seminarian would take it on.

I love this cross pollination. I know that many of my fellow IPHC ministers, ordained or not, are not schooled to the level many denominational pastors are. BUT they have one thing those men do NOT have. FIRE. PASSION. A Work ETHIC. A Mission.

Sometimes I wonder if the only thing seminary proves is that the graduate seminarian can finish his homework.

I hope this trend wakes a few of these coasters up to the reality. Ministry is hard work and if you hate hard work don't go into the ministry. Wheat from Chaff sorting is going on.


No comments: