Thursday, January 05, 2012

The Power of Failure to Empower Success

The following are some reasons why failure can empower success:

Failure causes us to rethink our current paradigm of ministry

If scientists and innovators in technology treated failure the way leaders in ministry do, then scientific and technological progress would be stifled! Those in fields of research understand that for every failed experiment they are closer to proving or disproving their hypotheses. Failure in ministry or business has the power to get us to recalibrate how we operate and make us more efficient. Even the corrections in the market economy during the past several years are part of a normal cycle of allowing what really works to come to the fore and correct some of the systemic ills regarding our cultural business habits.

Failure can bring greater humility

God has used ministry and relational failure to bring me closer to Him and to rely on Him more for my well-being, identity and success. As a younger leader I could only reach a certain point of humility on my own based on Bible reading and private devotion. God had to use the fiery trials of life experience, that come through time, to work a deeper level of humility in my soul.

Failure can bring more compassion towards others

Struggles with my own children have given me more compassion with Christian parents who have their own family challenges. I have found that I have far more authority to speak and minister to people in the areas I have been the most challenged with, especially because my heart resonates with people who are going through the same battles I have experienced.

Failure can cause us to seek God more earnestly

The longer I am in church ministry, the more I realize that I will never get the results in our local church, network or public life without seeking God earnestly! I have found that when I initiate ministry—based on my own natural gifts and abilities to lead and strategize—then it is up to me to keep it going on my own strength! God is not obligated to empower that which He never willed to exist! The older I get the more I try never to get involved in anything unless it not only fits my purpose and mission but also comes out of a strong witness of God’s leading in the Holy Spirit during prayer and contemplation.

Failure can make us more interdependent with other key leaders

As a young leader I hoped God was going to use me to bring great revival to New York City. But several years into our young ministry I went to hell and back (figuratively) and experienced much suffering do to failures in my own key relationships and ministry. After several years of intense trauma I came out of these trials with an understanding of how much I need other leaders. This resulted in an intense desire to network key leaders and churches from around the city which gave birth to “All City Prayer” initiatives starting in 1991 in which more than 1,000 people and more than 50 churches and leaders would come together for a day of fasting and prayer for our city. That was followed by many other citywide initiatives too numerous to mention (read my book Kingdom Awakening for more on these initiatives). All of this was precipitated by my experiencing failure in multiple areas related to family and ministry.

Failure can make us more self-aware

One of the greatest lessons from failure is that it made me more aware of who I am and what makes me tick, when I am being driven by fleshly personal ambition and when I am being led by the Lord. Every time I experience failure I use it as an opportunity to self-reflect and learn how and why I did what I did.

Read the whole thing

The Power of Failure to Empower Success

No comments: