Saturday, August 04, 2012

This is for my friend Chuck Comstock who recently posted a query on confirmation bias. I read this early this morning and thought of his questions. I think the whole Chick Fil A and Gun Control debates are driven by confirmation bias. Certainly Global Warming et al is driven by it. In the Chick thing, the facts didn't matter, the bias did. On the other side of the debate (mine) the facts behind the actual lack of gun control is colored by a bias that fears it might be going on. I commend you Chuck for thinking this thru. The Trayvon Martin event is a confirmation bias driven episode as well. I have to admit I am driven by some Confirmation Bias. And as the last line of the article says (it's one of three which are linked) BRING ON THE GADFLIES. OUCH

No comments: