Thursday, July 03, 2014

MIDDLE AMERICAN HUSTLE



Yesterday a man who can barely speak english, Rodriguez, came to the door. He want to coat our driveway. He did it before. Yes, we told him. A week before, Juan came, wanted to know if he could mow our grass. No. About a month ago Julio and his friend wanted to trim the locust tree in our front yard. I turned them down, but they were very effective. These guys hustle. They are looking to be of service. They aren't afraid to ask. Language is no barrier.

What bugs me however is this: Are they taking jobs someone else could do? Yet, where is Bill, Tom, or Joe? I see only brown at my door asking to do work... but no white or black faces ever show up at my door. Why?

I am always confident to have them do the work. They are good and clean up after themselves. I know some in my business who will not hire anyone who doesn't speak Spanish as a native tongue.

Not why but what. Have we lost our mojo as a nation?

No comments: