Saturday, November 08, 2014

The Wall

I was there when the wall came down. I remember well it going up. I remember seeing it in person a few years after it went up. I had nightmares about it. Tomorrow is an emotional day. I traveled in east Germany and even lived there for a while as a businessman before the wall came down. I have stories.
Yet, looking back, there was a bittersweet part of all this. The innocence of those in the east..who didn't even understand why anyone would even want a telephone? Who are you gonna call? The westernization of many of them did not come without a price.
Then a year later we had reunification day. Nov 9 is also the anniversary of Kristallnacht. Lots of things on Nov 9. Tearing down, rebuilding, destroying, unifying. We are better off.. but different.
By the way there are two towns by the name of REDLIN in former east Germany. No Redlins live there however.
November 9, 2014, marks the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
abc.net.au

No comments: