Thursday, March 17, 2005

No Bad Weather is Bad – Useless Winters


North Dakota. Grew up there. Loved to skate and ski. Ice fishing. Snow Angels. Sitting under a tree in the woods in a foot of fresh snow with a deep silence unknown anywhere else in the world.

I read in Julie’s Blog that there was supposed to be a real blizzard there this week. I haven’t experience a legit blizzard where I am snowed in since I left ND nearly 20 years ago. I do miss winter’s charms in ND. I enjoyed winter there except for the cold and the wind. Come to think of it I don’t miss the wind and cold at all. I’m confused.

So I moved to Illinois in 1985 – 86. I tell people I moved for the weather. HA

Half true. I do love the zone 5 horticulture. Redbuds and flowering dogwoods. Sweet bay magnolia and wisteria in spring.

But winter is Illinois is as useless as, well it has to do with male hogs and nursing efficacy. The winters are rain/snow/slush. We get one week where you might skate outdoors without falling to your certain death thru the ice. Ski? 2 or 3 hours north of here perhaps in a bad year. Otherwise can you say Colorado? Ice fishing maybe on small ponds IF you want to fish in the ice for non-edible fish.

And solitude and silence? Haven’t heard nothing in years.

We get one snowstorm per year. Seldom a real blizzard.

It’s not heaven, It’s not Iowa, It’s Illinois. Land with pretty springs, beautiful autumns, hot humid summers and 5 months of cloudy cool but not cold days.
Makes me think of what Jesus said to the Church at Laeodocea. Neither hot nor cold.

Spring will spring soon and I’ll quit grousing.

No comments: