Friday, March 18, 2005

Why I'm against Drilling for OIL


I like to drive. Got gas?? Don't much like $2.30 regular. So, in the wake of our discontent nationally we are going to go wake up a polar bear or two and run off all the caribou.

I am not against that. Drill away. I am against the idea that this matters. Anwar is window dressing. It doesn't solve the problem. It's such a drop in the bucket globally that it makes no difference at all.

Texas light crude based fuels are on deathwatch. So are some of the other methods. I worked in Brazil for a while. All cars there run on 100% alcohol. It works for now. We could do that. There are better solutions.

I'm against drilling because it masks the real problem. I'm against drilling for the same reason I mourn when good crops and good prices put off the eventual and ever more painful restructuring of agriculture.

It's like waxing the 73 Impala in hopes it'll repair all the rust spots. The car looks a little better but it's still a rust bucket. There are solutions. They exist. Political will. Look at the steroid hearings. Makes you nauseous. If that's the political framework to solve our petroleum problem in this country the obesity crisis is solved. We'll all walk.

No comments: