Friday, March 18, 2005

Who am I, Do I matter, Do you like me??


Am I what I do? Or what I eat? If you identify me is it based on what I might do or have done for you, am I OK? NOPE!

Here's something I have learned along the Royal Path of Life: My identity is not based on what you or anyone else thinks of me. It can't be. I'll live on an emotional roller coaster otherwise. If I rise or fall based on your approbation and approval I'll be hopeless and useless to you and to me.

Do I like to be known, respected, and considered successful in my generation? I hope to be. But I must be first respected in my own counsel. You might consider that self centered. I submit it's the ultimate in selflessness to not expect you to love me or even like me. If I can't appreciate me I can't expect others to.

If I get praise for my work, writing, wisdom, ability,(or good looks) it doesn't hurt. But it doesn't control my life. I do what I do including this blog for me and my unique perspective. I am ignored in spades. Criticized. Lambasted and rejected.

I'm in good company. (You knew I'd end up here). Despised and rejected of men.
Jesus. If he was and I am then that identity is all that counts.

Every other source of approval and acceptance is a poor substitute and can be a tool to help me feel inferior (beatdown). I am what I am, I will strive to be the best me I can be, I hope that's OK with you. I will try very hard to maintain my own counsel and be my own worst critic without being transparently self deprecating; like I'm fishing for nice things for you to say to me. I'm not.

The more I strive to be like myself the less I will be like anyone else. That's true holiness. UNLIKE ANY OTHER. If I capture my unique factor in HIM I'm Holy.
Join me. Be you. Don't try to be like any other ever. You'll fail. Be you. Be in Him. He'll reform, reshape and renew you to his very image. That's not all bad.

It's all good!

No comments: