Thursday, April 14, 2005

ART - I don't get it

I am not a connoisseur of art of the Gallery Type.

I’m not unschooled or unappreciative of Good Things.

I love much music, I think Opera is “Da Bomb”. I really enjoy Shakespeare ever since Minnie Onsrud made us read Julius Caesar aloud in Sophomore English. To date I have probably seen 30 different stage presentations of Shakespeare in my life. I loved them all. Then about 5 years ago I took it upon myself to read all the plays of Shakespeare. I did.

This must be an age thing since I notice that the people at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater (an exact replica of the Globe in England) where we have season tickets, are all my age (OLDER). Except last night. Romeo and Juliet. Very excellent. Lots of “Dates” with the guys looking into their date’s eyes and saying, “all that stuff Romeo said, DITTO”.

We have been members of the Chicago Art Institute. Pretty darn famous I hear. Plus when we lived in Europe we traipsed up and down galleries often. I have been exposed. I have even watched the little nun who describes great art. Interesting. No emotion however.

Great Music makes me cry, Opera moves me, I got all “welled up” at Romeo and Juliet’s death. I love it when I am moved. That’s what greatness is supposed to do, isn’t it? I love great writing that stirs my soul. I wish I could do it as well as some.

But except for a few times with most ART I haven’t had the same reaction. Exceptions would be Michelango’s Moses, David, the Pieta, Starry Night (the second) by Van Gogh, Haystacks by Monet, Degas’ Dancers, Second thought, I guess much of Monet touched me. So there have been times. But given a choice Shakespeare, Opera or the Art Museum I will opt out of the Museum. I remember standing looking at Blue Boy, or a day at the Park or the Mona Lisa and thinking OK fine, is that it?

So when I looked at the Virtual Art Gallery that Julie is presenting, I think it’s good. I just don’t understand it.

I hope I can someday. I wish I did. I feel like I’m missing out on something.

No comments: