Monday, April 18, 2005

Roaring Trip to der Heimat

1375 miles. That’s what I drove in the last 3 days. I won’t kid you. It’s not near as much fun as it used to be (if it ever was). But, it was good to see the relations, hug the aunts, cousins, and others again. We said final goodbye to my Uncle John. Of all my mothers brothers and sisters there’s only ONE left. Tom,. Namesake for his father Tom who married Borghild not so long after she got off the boat from Norway. I confess, I am not full blooded German. I’m what we call a Dakota multicultural. A half breed. German and Norwegian. Oof-da Ja-whol!

A few memorables:

I slept at the Redlin Lodge near Summit SD located on the land my dad owned 60 years ago. I slept therefore on the very spot I had slept on when my folks had a place in the back of the store. I slept on that ground for the first time in 59 years. Very cool. No Really, in the morning it was very cool. I woke up about 6AM. Stepped outside and was deafened by the silence. Then an occasional pheasant crow. A turkey Gobbled. Living in urban America the quiet is, well, disquieting.

I saw Turkeys running around. Coyotes. On one piece of CRP land hunters took 113 coyotes this winter. They are really getting to be a pest.

And, mountain lions. People see them walk across the backyard all the time. Looking for chicken or a kitty cat for breakfast. There’s already all kinds of yore on how to avoid being eaten by one. Don’t run, face it down, try to scare it off, throw a rock at it, cougars are cowards, they only attack if you are afraid. I’ll remember all that I’m sure next time I’m face to face with one.

My uncle Johns ashes were planted after the funeral. I mean planted. The family took two pickup trucks, and old John Deere Tractor and a field cultivator in tow and then making a big round in the back 80 scattered his ashes in the field and tilled them under. I think if you knew John he would have approved.

I missed the tillage. I couldn’t find the place. Of course being of male persuasion I did not ask directions until I became desperate. But I made it eventually. Counties in South Dakota are very large and open and lots of roads go long ways. I traveled most of them.

All my uncles and aunts are getting older. The decision tree is deciding which funerals to attend. We can’t attend them all. The trip is too much of a killer.

If my mom had lived she would be 80 this year. I remember her at 35, the age she was at the accident. I think that’s a gift.

One last thing. The singing at the funeral. All my Lee kin launched in to full voice. Frankly, the musical giftings don’t come so much from the Redlin side of the family as the Lee. It’s a pleasure to hear the continued talent rise up from this group of gifted singers and players.

I’m glad to be home. Back to the battle.

Could I go back? I don’t know. I may never know. The mystery of place is without solutions.

No comments: