Tuesday, May 10, 2005

I read it in a book, no radio

On National Liberal Public Radio over the weekend I heard a report on the Flossmoor public library in South Suburban Chicago. I have had a St Charles library card for 5 years. It's just like new. Unused.

I like to read but I don't find the local library all that inviting. Mostly made up of old retired folks (of which I am not) reading the newspapers.

But, hearing the story on NPR I came away with a clear impression that things are changing. I probably go to Barnes and Noble or Borders a half dozen times per month. What Flossmoor's librarian is trying to do is attract people like me and particularly younger folks to come give it a try. Free coffee. Bring your lunch, eat it in the library, rooms for study, free wireless internet, no interaction with any human to check out or return a book. These are all good things.

So, I know the purists among you all will swear this is apostasy of the worst kind. Guilty as charged. It means that we may have made progress.

All change is considered loss (at first) by most people. There is no improvement without change (not all change is improvement).

Now if we can just get concert halls to put in big comfy theater type seats that would be real progress.

No comments: