Monday, June 13, 2005

Chippie

I was watering the plants at our doorway. I looked down and there was a baby chipmunk. We have lots of chipmunks. When they become very surplus I reduce numbers. But I don't kill baby anythings. I'm terminally almost Albert Schweitzer like in my reverence for life.

I had just found it's mother that morning. Dead of something. The little guy was lost and squeaking for it's mom. So I brought it in, fed it ground up cornflakes and milk and almonds. He ate heartily.

This morning I took him back where he was found. I hope he makes it. I think he will. If he can eat OK and find a little water he'll be fine.

Of course no good deed goes unpunished. So in the fall when we are being overrun by Chipmunks I'll regret this. For instance:

Last fall we accidentally left our patio sliding glass door open, the chippies moved into the house. They were in the living room trying to figure out the TV remote when we came home. Their little tails went up in the air and they scurried back out. Ever since then when something is missing or broken we are now convinced the chippies did it.


No comments: