Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I Dream of Cars

I have recurring pleasant dreams at night. 

 

No, not that kind. Shame on you for even thinking that. 

 

I dream of Cars.  Wonderful cars.  Cars of my youth.  Cars of pure pleasure. 

 

I confess, I was a gear head as a youth.  I loved the smell of burning rubber in the morning.

 

When I left home I left behind two huge boxes of assorted “Hot Rod” type magazines.  All with wonderful cars in them with flames on the side.  If I had them today I would be financially better off.  I digress.

 

My friend Charlie Comstock (He’s now Chuck) had a car I thought was wonderful.  A 56 4 door Chevy Bellaire.  It had a piston knock.  It smoked.  He painted it sea green.  It was a beautiful thing.  I dream of that car.  That series of automobile was one of Detroit’s finest ever made.

 

I dream of old Dodge’s.  48-50.  You sat upright, you could wear a hat in the car. 

I never owned one but always wanted to.  I had a straight eight 53 Pontiac Cheiftan Black and Chartreuse (I painted it).  It was 400 yards long.  Slow as molasses.  Still in all a wonderful car.

 

I dream of all these cars.  AND MORE:

 

Last night I dreamed of a 57 Chevy Station Wagon.  It had a 37 gallon gas tank and got 30 miles to the gallon on the road.  Do the math.  That’s a thousand mile range or better.  In my sleep it had one of those on board computers that shows all the MPG and stuff like the Buick I drive now has.  It was luxurious inside.  Had power windows, door locks and power rear gate air and the 367 engine.   I suspect in my stupor it was a PT Cruiser type reiteration of the 57 wagon.  Sort of like, if you could go back and get the beauty and charm of the 57 wagon combined with the modern plusses of today’s vehicles.

 

In my dream we (Peggy and I are younger again) are with our kids going somewhere on one tank of gas driving this wonderful car. 

 

I have these perfect car dreams often. 

 

Am I weird?

 

Maybe.  But I note that Detroit keeps trying to reinvent cars that were perfect.  Look at the new 1950 Chevy pickup.  Or the new Chevy 1948 suburban.  And the PT cruiser.

 

I know where this all comes from.  Lloyd Ertelt had a 57 Chevy, Brown and White with a 367.  It was a beaut.  I never forgot it.  55-57 were great Chevy years.  Then the Aircraft carriers came along.

 

Detroit, take a hint.  Build the 57 Chevy Wagon again.  I can see it.  4WD.  367.

30 mpg.  37 gallon tank.  The marriage between the SUV and the Minivan with mileage. 

 

Call me, I’ll tell you where to send the royalty check.

No comments: