Monday, October 17, 2005

I know you have been worrying about this

Almost every year I get asked the same question.

Gene, you're in such terrific shape, why don't you run the Chicago Marathon? I mean you could run it between those vigorous workouts you put yourself thru.

After all, it's only 26 miles.

Piece o' Cake.

I have my reasons I DON'T run the Chicago Marathon.. If you know me you know what they are.

But, every year, rewind, Every YEAR! After the Toronto marathon someone crosses the finish line and immediately DROPS DEAD.

I'm imagining the Pearly Gates, St Pete, etc. Classic scene from all bad theology.

St. Pete: "You're 38, why are you here? Your time isn't up yet."

Runner "I just finished the Toronto marathon, and I dropped dead leaving behind my wife and children who will now have to fend for themselves, but boy was I in shape".

St. Pete: "(Insert your own derogatory remark here regarding selfishness stupidity etc.)"

I now believe in purgatory for runners.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every year?