Monday, January 23, 2006

A Chronicle of Narnia

Last night when the Narnia movie finally moved to the old person discount matinee-pricing ($4) Peggy and I went to see it.  I’m cheap.  But I did buy popcorn and a coke (diet).  She snuck in her own drink.  CHEAPO.  So the movie tickets were $8.  The coke and popcorn was $8.50.

 

We went to a theater in Aurora.  Mostly Hispanics and their kids in the theater.  I like Hispanics.  I work with them.  Find them good folks.  But, 18 month old babies shouldn’t go to movies with lots of crash and bang in them.  I digress.

 

The movie was astoundingly beautiful. 

 

How they made the animals talk and act so real I’ll never know.  I guess it’s all with computers but the animals looked as real as any you would see, maybe better.  Not cartoon like at all.

 

The little girl Lucy was darling. 

 

The beings were so real.  I saw Lord of the Rings (all of them) and these were more real and more in some cases terrifying. 

 

The story of redemption was there but not in anyone’s face.  In fact, if you didn’t know the nuances of the redemption story you would never know that’s what it’s about.  C S Lewis was brilliant at maintaining integrity without sacrificing the story.

 

If you haven’t seen it, try to see it on the big screen.  It’s huge in it’s spectacle.

 

The white witch was more evil than I could have thought and without any redeeming quality at all.  Lewis really got the character of Satan right.

 

And I didn’t cry at the death of Aslan as I didn’t cry at the scourging of Jesus in the passion. 

 

There were other scenes of bravery and valor that choked me up.  I’m a sucker for a hero.  I love it when the good guys win.

 

 

 

 

No comments: