Friday, February 03, 2006

Killing the Mockingbird

This is about accusation.  False and Real.
 
My wife and I have a fair bit to do with kids.  Lots of reasons. But we do.
 
There is a disturbing trend which is resulting in accusations. False and Real.
 
In schools "Don't Touch Me"  is code for I don't want to do what you are asking  to do and so I won't and there's nothing you can do about it. 
 
Inappropriate touching is wrong.  Sometimes if a kid (6-7-8 grade) is uncooperative and needs some physical direction (like out of the room) he/she cries rape.  Not rape exactly, Don't Touch Me.  It's not far separated in it's tone.
 
It puts fear in the hearts of teachers and workers in the school.  Every few months in the Chicagoland area there are episodes where a teacher or principle trying to keep order physically restrains a student.  And is sued.
 
Schools are a mess.  Public education should be outlawed.  That's another discussion.  I'm hopeful that public education will fall off the edge of the earth.
 
But, we have taught thin skinned accusing behavior to our kids and are reaping a whirlwind we didn't think was blowing.  Stranger Danger is good.  Don't take candy from the old man in the car.  Don't let anyone touch you inappropriately.  All good.
 
But Judge, Jury and Prosecutor is now in the hands of teens and sub teens.
 
Don't Touch Me now means I'll get my lawyer.  Or my rich parents will. 
 
Same thing applies to racial comments.  Someone calls someone a name and the long arm of the law comes out.  I'm not for calling anyone names but this doesn't need Barney Fife and his deputies involved. 
 
Don't Touch Me has gone too far.  It's the killing a mockingbird accusation that has neutered our schools, churches, caretakers and authorities.  We are reaping a whirlwind of sassy kids, disorder, lack of focus and a new generation who doesn't get it. 
 
I lived in fear that Mr. Schuske would kick the crap out of me if I sassed back in class.  If I had known he couldn't I would have sassed more.  Or worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read an interview with a guy from the FBI where he said that the "stranger danger" program was one of the worst things that came down the pipe as far as children's safety was concerned. It taught kids that strangers might hurt them, yes, but programmed their minds to see only strangers as possible dangers instead of the danger family or adult friends of the family might pose to the child. Once a person no longer seems a stranger to a child, they don't perceive them as a threat and are willing to go off in vehicles with them, etc. Just a thought.