Sunday, February 05, 2006

In praise of Erroll Garner

We have this wonderful jazz program on Public Radio in Chicagoland with music from the 30's-60's.  (Buckley on Jazz) I have enjoyed it for over 30 years.  We often traveled with a group of friends while it played on the radio in the late 70's going to the Lakes for dinner at DeRox Supper Club when we lived in Fargo.
 
Today the featured artist was Erroll Garner.  It was so great to hear him again.  I only have one album (33 lp) from the 60's I bought after hearing him live in the old wooden festival hall building at NDSU.  It was not greatly attended but he played with gusto.  Hearing him groan along with the music, a syncopated left hand and a hammer interpretation with the right hand amazed me once again today. 
 
Hearing him play Ain't Misbehaivin' was worth the price of admission.
 
I think it's time I revisited the work of a truly great piano artist. 
Erroll Louis Garner, January 15, 1921 - January 21,1977.  Rest in peace.
 

No comments: