Monday, February 06, 2006

We are all Temps

I have a friend in NYC who calls himself a permanent Temp worker.  It's a joke.  I have another friend who after more than 30 years with a Fargo Radio station was unceremoniously fired on Friday of last week. 
 
I feel wounded.  I always admired his "Permanence".  30 years.  Wow. 
 
In that time I have owned/started a dozen different businesses.  Been hired and fired a half dozen times.  And had a church fold.
 
I'm the poster child for impermanence.  I'm not sad.  I've lived a great life.  I still do.  Sometimes my sweet wife would like to see me "settle down".  After over 60 years that's highly unlikely.
 
But, Larry's expulsion reinforces a truth I have always known.  Even when it looks permanent, nothing is permanent.  Permanence is an illusion.
 
I first became aware of this fact during the Vietnam War.  I was signing up when my Cousin Jim Lee came to visit.  I loved him.  He was my favorite person in all the world.  I asked him if he thought he would end up in Vietnam.  He said, there was no chance, it would take act of congress to place him there.  He was about to enjoy his military experience on this side of the pond.
 
In 5 months he was in Hanoi. 
 
I didn't join.  Only then did I come to the realization, permanence is an illusion.
 
So whatever you are doing right now.  It's not permanent.  You can and probably will be replaced, fired, go out of business, be demoted, be let go, kicked out the door or go belly up; or whatever euphemism meets your purpose.
 
We are all temporary employees in an impermanent word.  I enjoy being a temp.  Keeps my edge sharp.
 
Heck, even life isn't permanent.

No comments: