Thursday, March 09, 2006

Boston Legal is Shatner’s Best

I loved the first Star Trek series, Spock, Bones and all. When Next Gen came out I was pretty convinced I would hate it. I didn’t and have see every episode.

I think Willam Shatner was part of the brilliance. An almost serious Sci Fi effort and Shatner kept it on the edge of being tongue in cheek.

After the series went off we didn’t hear much from him. Several years ago he had a bit part as the giant head in Third Rock From the Sun. It was hilarious. I commented to several about his excellent comedic timing and capacity to capture the moment. If you haven’t seen those 3 episodes they are worth digging up.

I also said that it was amazing that a man with his comedic talents wouldn’t have his own series.

Then his wife drown a few years ago. I guess I thought he drifted off into oblivion after that. Sort of Dana Reeves style.

NOPE.

Well into his 70’s Shatner is more brilliant than ever.

If you haven’t seen Boston Legal on Tuesday nights you are missing a wonderful piece of work. My brother Steve turned me on to it. I have told several since.

A week ago I had a dental appointment. I was an hour in the chair getting a cap ground and fitted. The dentist was yucking it up with his assistant about Boston Legal. I said uguewbbuuuggskk, They agreed. Then on the way home still saying little more than DSOFUONGOSJ (Novocain does that to you) the radio talk show hosts on WGN were yucking it up about Boston Legal.

It’s pretty much unanimous to anyone who has seen it. Great comedy. A little left of political center.

But, seeing Denny Crain (William Shatner) hold fort and dominate the screen like he does gives this old guy hope I can still make it work. I’ll try.

1 comment:

NodakJack said...

Whould'a thunk it?
You're right. He's a very good actor.