Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Music in the Church

Peggy and I spent much of the weekend with a man and his wife who were here as candidates for the position of Music Worship Arts director at our Church.

I have no purpose in spending any time on him since there are people who read this who attend and that wouldn’t be fair. I was exhausted spiritually Monday from the experience. For lots of reasons. My antenna was up all the time. No downtime. That’s hard work. But I got what I needed.

It did give me a chance to reflect on the place music has in the prophetic environment of a Church. I will admit, to me worship is best exemplified in a strong back beat, good lead guitar and a Hammond B-3 Organ. A little wild dance is good too. I’m not a traditionalist in this area.

But this article really said what I have felt in my heart. I found it because of a conversation I was having about changes in Churches with a nice man by the name of Justin. He was/is struggling with modern inroads to the modern Church. My thought was, you must speak the language of the culture. Paul said that, “In order to reach them I must be all things to all people”. (Gene’s Living Translation)

If that includes a Starbucks in the Lobby, Downloads to people’s IPODS, wearing Hawaiian Shirts, and nice buildings, let’s do it. What we were doing wasn’t working very well. This might. If not, it’ won’t work long.

From the article mentioned above:

In 2 Kings 3:13-15, the kings of Israel, Judah and Edom were preparing to go to war against Moab. They heard that Elisha was closely connected with God, and sent for him.

The prophet first addressed the king of Israel:
“What have I to do with you? Go to the prophets of your father and the prophets of your mother.” But the king of Israel said to him, “No, for the Lord has called these three kings together to deliver them into the hand of Moab.”

And Elisha said, “As the Lord of hosts lives, before whom I stand, surely were it not that I regard the presence of Jehoshaphat king of Judah, I would not look at you, nor see you. But now bring me a musician.”

Then it happened, when the musician played, that the hand of the Lord came upon him.

Elisha calls for a musician. The text doesn’t say why, but it does say that, “When the musician played the hand of the Lord came upon him.” Was it just a mood setting moment? I think there is something more to it.

In 1 Samuel 10:5-6, Saul was given instructions from Samuel:
“After that you shall come to the hill of God where the Philistine garrison is. And it will happen, when you have come there to the city, that you will meet a group of prophets coming down from the high place with a stringed instrument, a tambourine, a flute, and a harp before them; and they will be prophesying. Then the Spirit of the Lord will come upon you, and you will prophesy with them and be turned into another man.

Notice it says that the prophets are carrying musical instruments. It doesn’t say whether they are prophesying with their voices or with their instruments, but they were obviously musicians.

After David became king, there is an account in 1 Chronicles 25: 1, 2 where musicians are separated for the service of prophecy:

“Moreover David and the captains of the army separated for the service some of the sons of Asaph, of Heman, and of Jeduthun, who should prophesy with harps, stringed instruments, and cymbals. And the number of the skilled men performing their service was:

Take note of the reference to, “who should prophecy,” and, “skilled men” (men is generic and does not eliminate women) in verse 1 and “who prophesied according to the order of the king,” in verse 2. Harps, stringed instruments and cymbals used in David’s time could just as well in our day be guitar, bass and drums.

From these accounts, I believe that God uses music as prophecy. The definition of the Hebrew word used for prophecy in the Strong’s Concordance is: to speak (or sing) by inspiration (in prediction or simple discourse). God is pleased when we play music, even if we don’t acknowledge it as a gift from Him.

God’s pleasure returns to me in the form of divine inspiration that can be used to speak hidden words to the soul of anyone who has ears to hear. If you have a personal relationship with God through Jesus, His Son and Messiah, ask Him to speak through your music every time you play. When people talk to you afterwards about how your music moved them, it is a perfect time to introduce them to the Creator of all music and show them how their future can be changed by God’s love. This is prophecy.

I think of times in a worship service where there have been 5 or 10 minute drum solos. Not exactly “A mighty Fortress”. But God used some of those times to reveal something about him and his nature to help me get over my bad self and more hidden in him.

Not all music in the church is prophecy, some is performance. It depends on who’s bringing it. Skill isn’t everything either. The anointing of God can be on a person who brings a song and it can bring you to your knees.

I loved the movie The Apostle. In one scene an old black gentleman plays a trumpet solo. It’s not very good. But God is in it. I would rather hear that then some slick rehearsed “Presentation” without the power of God behind it.

Evenso, Come Lord Jesus.

1 comment:

Dr. Barry L. Kolb said...

You forgot to mention God's instrument--the saxophone!