Sunday, May 14, 2006

Why I have decided not to see Da Movie Vinci

Talk about a full-blown hype machine. There’s going to be Da Vinci Code Toothbrushes soon, DaVinci Code Vitamins, DaVinci Code Underwear for kids. This is not star wars people.

I have decided to forgo attending this movie, paying my 8 bucks and being irritated. I can do that at home.

WHY?
  1. I don’t want to support the people who made this movie or wrote this book. They’ll get along fine without my encouragement to make more
  2. I don’t attend showings of most horror movies and I spend little time in XXX rated emporiums. DaVinci code to me is no better than this.
  3. My brain is full of things I wish it weren’t. Killings, murders, wars, anger, fear, images that I want to push the delete button on. I don’t need to add to the list of images I am dealing with.
  4. I know it’s only a movie, but so were movies during the 3rd Reich accusing Jews of destroying the world and propagating the belief that the white Aryan race was superior to all. Only a movie but filled with lies, half-truths and outright accusations. DaVinci code is that. Lies, half-truths and fiction passed as reality. Junk food (maybe poison) for the gullible soul.
  5. I know that in many ways I am a sum total as a human being of every thought I think, every book I read, every movie I see, every experience I have, and every person I know. When I ask myself if this adds or subtracts to the person I wish to become, this subtracts.

I have friends who have suggested that to be able to defend or debate the truth and fiction of the DaVinci code I need to see the movie and read the book. Really? I didn’t see people who have no belief in God running to see the Passion (Mel Gibson’s movie) because they wanted to be able to defend and debate. I’ll make a deal with all the open-minded people out there. We’ll go together. I’ll go see the DaVinci Code with you right after you go see the Passion of the Christ with me. I made that offer with Moore’s Fahrenheit 9-11. No takers. So much for open-mindedness.

This is not a fair argument. So, if you don’t mind, I’ll have my opinions based on impressions I have about the heresy and evil intents resident in the DaVinci Code and you go right ahead and have your erroneous opinions about the Evil and banality of an unconditional belief in a Living God. I mean you’ve never read the book either and you have opinions based on what others say about the Bible. I am allowed to have opinions based on what I have heard and read that others say about the Code.

If you will read the Bible, I’ll read the DaVinci Code. Tit for tat.

Any takers? I didn’t think so.

Open-minded? HA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read the Bible
A non-Christian