Friday, May 05, 2006

Prophetic Objectivity or Subjectivity

As a person who operates in the Gift of Prophecy I am often asked, how do you know if something is prophetic in it’s meaning? I mean, if a bird hits my windshield when I’m driving down the interstate does that mean anything? If I hear a person quote a scripture and it hits me hard is that prophetic? If I read the book of revelation and get nothing from it am I missing something?

There are two major categories of prophetic revelation:

Subjective Prophetic
The Spirit of God can and does often allow us to see meaning in events, circumstance, relationships, happenstance and seemingly random experiences. You will note I said the Spirit of God reveals these. So, the meaning of these things must come from a revelation by the Spirit within you. Of course, if you don’t have the Spirit of the Living God in you these events will just happen and you will miss the meaning if they had any. I have often said that I see Jesus in everything. Show me a rock, sing me a song, grow me a tree and I can make a parable or a prophetic meaning from it. Does the rock in and of itself carry a message? Not to many. But to some. It’s the Jesus living in me that carries and releases the message. It’s like a TV. An empty cardboard box receives the same signals that a TV set receives. It just can’t interpret them because the box is empty of what it needs to process the signal. On the other hand a TV set can “see” the signal and provide a vision of what the signal carries. Nothing inside means nothing received. Of course some people have the TV innards so to speak but refuse to turn it on or to fine tune the antenna for better reception. Sometimes they find themselves in a place where there is interference or bad reception. Garbage in garbage out.

Objective Prophetic
This is an utterance from God by a prophetic voice. That voice often is in the Bible. Isaiah, Ezekiel, Zechariah, Jeremiah, Joel, Hosea, Daniel, Revelation. These all contain the objective prophetic utterances of God. No matter how you decide to deal with them, they will be fulfilled with or without your interpretation. You can choose to get in line with the objective prophetic movement of time or be run over by it. So knowing and being on guard for the prophetic triggers in life helps us all operate in more confidence.

The same is with modern prophets. They hear a word or words from God. They provide it to whoever will listen. They say, “Thus saith the Lord”. Or the Lord has told me thus and so. You can both hear and judge what they say or you can poo poo it and decide to let life’s semi trucks run you over.

Both the subjective and the objective require the same thing; a living breathing discerning Holy Ghost Spirit inside. Then like the TV set, it must be turned on, tuned in, and without outside interference.

What amazes me is how people miss it. I guess I have been walking in this so long I don’t get not getting it. I have learned to trust the prophetic voices around me. I have learned to trust the voice of God when he speaks. I have learned to see the signs and times like the sons of Issachar.

I’ve not yet arrived; I probably won’t on this side of the veil. But I can walk in confidence knowing that no matter what, God is speaking loudly and clearly if I’ll just see and hear prophetically both the subjective and objective.

It makes life so much easier and less stressful.

2 comments:

NodakJack said...

I love that Spirit of God story about Abraham, (The David Koresh of his day,) listening to God tell him to gut his son. He almost did it, until God takes it back and tells him that since he was ready to do his bidding, (ala Don Corleone,) he could be a capo. No, a prophet.

Gene said...

Jsck,

I know this is a foreign language to you. But, as much as I like and appreciate you I have other readers to whom this is real and information they grasp.

Sometimes it's just a matter of realms.

I can't understand Russian Politics as well as someone who lives in that realm.

I can only have an opinion.

But, not being in that realm my opinon's perspective is less credible than one who is actually there, living and breathing it.

Your view is not right or wrong, it's just out of the realm in which you live.